Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1950 Chevy deluxe from a friend at work. I decided with the help of my son's Tristan & Matthew to build a gasser, we are currently in the stages of gathering parts. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
morning - look forward to the pictures and story of your project.
always good doing something with the family.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Welcome to the site Dewey. Looking forward to your Chevy build. 50 is a cool body style.
Mario

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Dewey looks like you got some work cut out for ya. But it's worth it. Pure Americana. You got there.
Looking forward to your project.

·
Registered
798 Posts
That car look familiar! I will be watching.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll be keeping up with this one. I have a soft spot for the '50's since I have a '50 sedan delivery. Enjoy the time spend with your son on this one. Take lots of pics and keep him involved. You wont regret a minute spent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
FYI one quick way to give it the Gasser stance without installing leaf springs and strait axle is to put spacers between the frame and front xmember.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks worse then what it is. Buy the way guys with a 50, what did you use for headers ?

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
It looks worse then what it is. Buy the way guys with a 50, what did you use for headers ?
My buddy used the Speedway fat fender Chevy headers. Only about $180, and they are very nice. I used them on my Austin also. For another $100 you can get them in ceramic coated.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Block-Chevy-1935-48-Fat-Fenderwell-Headers-Plain,3821.html

Only drawback is they are 2.5" collectors, but if you're running 2.5" exhaust they're the perfect size.

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not much progress going on had to slow down on parts for birthdays and Christmas . I had a 355 lined up but the guy backed out , it ran lows 11's in a s10 .... bummed me out but life goes on . my next step will be getting the front axle under it

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
not much progress going on had to slow down on parts for birthdays and Christmas . I had a 355 lined up but the guy backed out , it ran lows 11's in a s10 .... bummed me out but life goes on . my next step will be getting the front axle under it
what about this motor in our classified section, may be a bit much for the street but you never know what can be worked out.

377 SBC Race Motor
This engine was run in a B/ Gas (8.60 index) full body 57 Chevy. It was never hurt and only run for a couple of events before the car owner switched to a blower combination.

I bought this engine for a gasser project but moved on to an altered so I never ran this engine.

Iron Chevy with 4 bolt billet steel main cap, fully race prepared block with gylptal paint.
Aluminum Brodix Heads that have been ported, polished, and have stippling. Valves are titanium.
Roller lifters and a rev kit.
Terra Yellow roller rockers
Carrillo H beam rods
Velasco Crank
Bill Jenkins camshaft,
13.5 :1 CR
Can run on race gas or alcohol, put your intake on it.
377 cubic inches

The engine is located in the Los Angeles area for pick up. Or I will put it on a mini pallet wrapped and strapped and drop it off at your shipper in the Los Angeles area. You make arrangements for the shipping and I'll get it to the shipper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that motor is out of my pay grade lol , the one i found was a buck fifty ran one season , had flat tops on x rods , shes going to be more of neighbor pisser offer and ice cream cruse & drag a few times a year kinda car. i would like to make around 350 horse maby a tic more but dont we all . shes a poser

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
You can have a lot of fun with a 300hp engine, and a bit more is always easy to get later. It's always nice to get them running well, and on the road, and then later do some engine upgrades if you decide you'd like more.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts