Gasser HotRod Forums banner

141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Tony you seem to have a handle on things so just double check everything. All the bolts trans and driveshaft. Wires or flammable items against the exhaust.
A nice size rag to smother a backfire flame in case you have a timing issue or fire order problem. Maybe even a fire extinguisher. I can't tell you how many times I thought the distributor had to be right and it was off 180 degrees. Fuel connections should be checked before you start. Electric fuel pump is a plus so you can check for leaks before you run it. Transmission fluid or gear oil is full. Starter is aligned properly. Converter bolts are tight if automatic trans.

Open headers aren't up against anything that can melt. Rocker adjustment is on. I thought mine was good but they were off after it ran. Hard to tell but it was missing on some cylinders cause they were too tight and hanging the valves open. When you fuel pressure test check the carb for float bleed down into the intake. I've had floats set too high causing fuel to run down. You don't want gas filling the cylinders on startup. Well I think I covered a few of my bases so I don't know what the other hotrodders may contribute to this. I wish you all the best on the startup Tony. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Most Important Of All!!!!!!!!!!

Tony,
Mario pretty much nailed the check list except for one very, very important thing, a video camera to capture it and share with your friends here on the site. We're all rooting for you.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Tony,
Mario pretty much nailed the check list except for one very, very important thing, a video camera to capture it and share with your friends here on the site. We're all rooting for you.
AHHHHHHHHHHH I knew I forgot something....LOL great catch Steve.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
When you fuel pressure test check the carb for float bleed down into the intake. I've had floats set too high causing fuel to run down. You don't want gas filling the cylinders on startup. .
Wow, funny you mention this.
I did a fuel check last Saturday, turned on the fuel pump, fixed a couple minor drips and set the floats.
Cycled the power a few times checking this and that. Then Sunday I wanted to check the starter function so for some reason I decided it would be smarter to remove all the plugs and disconnect the ignition before I turned it over.
Good thing I listened to that little voice in the back of my head because when I turned it over fuel shot out the rear two cylinders!
The Holley 600 did have an internal leak, I haven't been able to track it down, but decided to use this 750 instead.
I will definitely check for internal leaks BEFORE I bolt the carb down this time.
Oh, and the fire extinguisher is right there next to the car.
Thanks for the help Mario.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Wow, funny you mention this.
I did a fuel check last Saturday, turned on the fuel pump, fixed a couple minor drips and set the floats.
Cycled the power a few times checking this and that. Then Sunday I wanted to check the starter function so for some reason I decided it would be smarter to remove all the plugs and disconnect the ignition before I turned it over.
Good thing I listened to that little voice in the back of my head because when I turned it over fuel shot out the rear two cylinders!
The Holley 600 did have an internal leak, I haven't been able to track it down, but decided to use this 750 instead.
I will definitely check for internal leaks BEFORE I bolt the carb down this time.
Oh, and the fire extinguisher is right there next to the car.
Thanks for the help Mario.
Good catch tony. I guess having electric fuel pump could be detrimental unless you are on your game like you were.
Im glad to help in any way. Im no genius just learned from my own mistakes......:)

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
And one thing to really learn here is LISTEN TO THAT LITTLE VOICE IN YOUR HEAD...nice catch Tony...and have your timing light at the ready,,,,and some body you really dont like looking down the carb while you crank her over...but really only if they would look better without eye browse or lash's.........lol....just kidding

·
Registered
643 Posts
WOW!, glad you had your noggin connected to your stomach, the saying goes, "Our gut is our second brain"

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
I've had an occasion when I was priming the oil system and didn't catch a plug missing from the oil galley! What a mess of good oil on the floor. If someone can watch for leaks when you prime it, it's a good idea! I was watching the pressure gauge and looking for oil flow where it should be. So by the time I saw oil running where it shouldn't be I had quite the mess!
Also good to have a 2nd person inside the car and one outside when you first fire it. Two sets of eyes are better than one!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Well, my driveshaft is in and the radiator is being built. I've decided to go ahead and rebuild a Holley 750 vacuum carb to use instead of the 600 I had, better idle circuitry for a big cam, and better cfm for this motor.
I am buttoning up all the loose ends I can think of, trying to get ready to fire this thing and break in the cam.
The motor has been static timed and oil system primed.
Once I get the cooling system squared away does anyone have any other suggestions as to what might be done before I start it?
What kind of idle issues will the bigger carb cure? Is the 750 carb the standard 3310? After I swapped heads and cam in my 327, I had to adjust the idle speed screw quite a bit to get it to idle decent and with the throttle blades open that much, it wants to diesel when I shut it off. I'd like to be able to cure it.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Gary what size jets do you have in your 750? Lets go over to your project thread if you want to talk carb tuning.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
What kind of idle issues will the bigger carb cure? Is the 750 carb the standard 3310? After I swapped heads and cam in my 327, I had to adjust the idle speed screw quite a bit to get it to idle decent and with the throttle blades open that much, it wants to diesel when I shut it off. I'd like to be able to cure it.
From what I have read, and believe me, I am no expert, the 600 vacuum doesn't have an idle circuit that can handle a cam with a lot of duration.
When you open the throttle blades enough to get it to idle then the blades have moved too far from the transfer slots.
I didn't want to try to adjust for this by messing with the secondary throttle blades or to drill holes in the plates.
Besides that, the specs on this motor show that it performs better with a 750 CFM carb.
Here is a good article that explains it much better than I can.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/cfm-holley-1850-tech-applications/

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Ok now I get it Gary, you currently are running a 600? I still would like to know what size jets you have in your primaries Gary.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Mario, I currently have a 570 Street Avenger (basically a 1850 with duel inlet bowls).Out of the box it had 54 primaries and I'm up to 61s now.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Mario, I currently have a 570 Street Avenger (basically a 1850 with duel inlet bowls).Out of the box it had 54 primaries and I'm up to 61s now.

Tony, Thanks for the article you posted.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts

Tony, Thanks for the article you posted.
Gary you need at least 72 to 76 primaries on a 600 to 750 cfm. That may be why you have to open the throttles so wide to idle the motor. 61's would be what an 1850 would come with from the factory. Cam would need more than 61s. I have 76's in my MG main driving 1850. Try running up the primaries into the 70's and you will get more response on the idle mixture screws when you run them in. Otherwise If you could get your hands on a 650 double pump with 74 primaries it would probably fix your problem.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Had 54s out of the box.
It looks like a nice carb but Holley once told me no new carb will fit every car outta the box. Did you buy this new? If i remember you have a 327 with 194 heads and mild cam, right.
Im gonna say you will make it up to at least 68 on the primaries.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Well, after 2 years I finally got to start this thing!
Man was I agonizing over every little, or huge thing that could go wrong.
It started right up, we got through the 20 minutes, at 2000 to 3000 rpm cam break in, with no issues except a minor valve cover oil leak.
If I can figure out how to upload videos I will.
Woo hooo, ITS ALIVE!!! :cool:

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Well, after 2 years I finally got to start this thing!
Man was I agonizing over every little, or huge thing that could go wrong.
It started right up, we got through the 20 minutes, at 2000 to 3000 rpm cam break in, with no issues except a minor valve cover oil leak.
If I can figure out how to upload videos I will.
Woo hooo, ITS ALIVE!!! :cool:
Awesome Tony, Glad it went well. Great feeling isn't it? Happy for you. Great job.
I think the best way to do the video is upload to Youtube and paste the link into your project thread.

141 - 160 of 196 Posts