Gasser HotRod Forums banner

181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 · (Edited)
I haven't updated in a while, we've been taking the Studey to shows and gatherings and just enjoying cruising this thing.
Last week I finally got to take it to our local pin striper, Tim at Fast stripe.
I knew exactly what I wanted and that was to pay tribute to the men who started the drag race scene here in Santa Maria, Ca. back in the '50's.
One of our Bent Axle club members and long time president, Jerry Gaskill was drag racing at the Goleta airport until it shut down in the mid fifties.
Instead of traveling all the way to LA, he decided to open a drag strip here in Santa Maria on Foster road, then he opened another strip in San Luis Obispo on airport property.
The Santa Maria drag strip was the third NHRA sanctioned strip in the country. He also ran an auto parts store, "Jack and Jerry's Auto Supply", and he and his partner Jerry Hathaway created the San Luis Obispo California Timing Association S.L.O.C.T.A.
Found_523142071_16383747.jpg
Another club member who helped get the tracks going also raced a rail dragster. He too ran an auto supply store in Guadalupe, Ca. and belonged to the local club The Dragons. His name is Vic Diamond, he is still with us and in our club and still plays with hot rods.
20190630_075314.jpg
I copied as closely as I could with pictures and articles to their original signage, addresses and phone numbers of their shops.
My friend Dave Miller, who guided me as to what is period correct, suggested the name Stude-A-Shaker, so that's what I went with.
DSC_6470.jpg
DSC_6471.jpg

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Way cool...I bet jaws drop when you drive down the street...thanks for sharing the story behind the lettering...also very cool

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Nicely done! A great tribute to local shops of the era too! I used 900 grit paper to distress the name on my Austin back when I first built it and it had it's original black paint. Decided not to do it again after I painted the car with new paint as I figured new paint and new lettering went together. But older paint just cries out for a little patina on the lettering.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I was approached by a friend who writes for an on line car magazine about doing a story on the Stude-A-Shaker.
We ended up doing the photo shoot at the Mendenhall museum in Buelton, ca.
Very cool and very much appreciated.
Here is a link to the article.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Congrats Tony. Awesome. Happy for you. You deserve the recognition.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
What a great article and photo array, congrats Tony and don't be such a stranger

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Very nice Tony...time for your next build ????
Give him some time to puff his chest out a bit on this one first. I’m sure he wants to enjoy it a bit.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
So who are we, the red headed step child???

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Thanks guys.
I know, it's been a while since I've been on the site.
I retired in February, and have been busier than ever.
The Stude has been getting some miles, even during this COVID fiasco. A lot of cruises for cancer patients and cruising for fun with friends.
Also been making some side money working on some pretty cool hotrods in my shop.
Retirement is good.
He's already well into his next build over on The HAMB forum.
Hmmmm? Not sure what your referring too on the HAMB?
I haven't started a new build, I dont think I will for quite some time. This one was fun to build, but now its even more fun to just drive it.
I have had projects to work on in my shop, and I have gotten myself a pretty cool OHV to play in the dunes with, but no new builds for me.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Thanks guys.
I know, it's been a while since I've been on the site.
I retired in February, and have been busier than ever.
The Stude has been getting some miles, even during this COVID fiasco. A lot of cruises for cancer patients and cruising for fun with friends.
Also been making some side money working on some pretty cool hotrods in my shop.
Retirement is good.

Hmmmm? Not sure what your referring too on the HAMB?
I haven't started a new build, I dont think I will for quite some time. This one was fun to build, but now its even more fun to just drive it.
I have had projects to work on in my shop, and I have gotten myself a pretty cool OHV to play in the dunes with, but no new builds for me.
Sorry Tony, my mistake! We have another member here who also built a Studebaker gasser, and is on the HAMB site. Very similar build to yours and he's now got a Chevy Fleetline build going on at the HAMB. Got you two confused.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
See Steve, you don’t have red hair. Lol

181 - 196 of 196 Posts