Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this 1938 Chevy Coupe since 1974. In the '90's I got to hanging around a Streetrod crowd. Installed Must II, Versailles disc rear, Ac, stereo, bla bla bla. Well I kinda lost interest in it the last few years so I decided to take it back to the way it was when we first met, except with a 409, 348 3-2's, and TH400. Here are a few progress pics.

Here it is in its Streetrod trim.

Here is the first of the deconstruction phase, sold the streetrod chassis that was under it.

Bought a 38 sedan just for the frame, here it is with the '09 sitting on it

Home made fenderwell headers

Had the headers ceramic coated

More progress since these pics but all I have time for now.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Really nice job, EZ! So glad you decided to take the '38 to another level. Definitely going to be an awesome ride! Thanks for sharing your project with us.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The radius looks good. I like your heat shields for the mufflers. Did you just roll some expanded metal for those?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The radius looks good. I like your heat shields for the mufflers. Did you just roll some expanded metal for those?
Heat shields are 1/2" perforated 16 ga steel. A welder buddy has some left over from a job and he turned me on to it. I cut it with a cutoff wheel then rolled them in my home made slip roller. Worked out great and the price was right! Here's a better pic.

Built some stacks for the 3-2's today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got all the pieces in one pile and pulled it outside to see how it looks from a distance.

I don't like the little baby air cleaners that are available for 3-2's so I made some stubby stacks for the rochesters and mounted some decent sized K&N filters on them.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
I've always wondered how those tiny 1-2 barrel air cleaners could flow enough air? Those K&N's look much better for performance!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got to take it out and play with it yesterday and its Bad A$$. I hope I can stay out of trouble with it. It makes lots of noise when you push the Loud Pedal all the way down. :)

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Wow ez
Nice car. Great idea buying another frame. No regrets no looking back. Love the headers. I want something like that on my mg build. Nose hi, black with flames. It doesn't get more gasser than that. This is a great build. Thanks for posting great pics.
Mario

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Taking the Coupe on its first trip out town to Pistons and Paint car show in Denton Texas Saturday. About a 120 mile round trip. 3.73 gears, 28" tires. I figure 60 mph should be about 2700 RPM. Shouldn't hurt a fresh 409. I've put about 50 miles on it around town and a few short trips to the country to open it up. Outta be a fun Saturday.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Sounds like the perfect distance for it's first out of town trip! Don't forget to take a tool bag, just in case! I have one made up and sitting in the garage, and it goes in the trunk whenever I go more than 10-15 miles from home. I call it my insurance bag.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts