Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well as most of you guys know this is my 1937 or 38 Mopar still don't know what year or model but who cares I still am not concerned about that. What I have been doing is chasing down body panels that she was missing when I picked it up. I wanted to get these parts first so I could mock up the front body so I can see how to shoe horn a large v8 in it new style hemi or old have not made up my mind yet this is my 1st Pre 60's build. I am confident with the help of all of you guys the road blocks will be over come ! So I was able to buy a hood & all 4 fenders so far really need a grill support so I can get a idea where things need to be. Ill post more pics when the parts arrive. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg this is what I have started with ! :cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill bet you can and please feel free to do so Steve thanks .i need to find time not at the end of the day when tired to play around with this site and then I will have a bit more patience. Thanks again Steve have a great night!!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I'll keep my eyes open for the grille surround. There was one here locally on CL last year. Actually an entire front clip that someone was selling whole or as parts. Maybe something will show up for a '37-'38 Plymouth or Dodge.
In the meantime here's a link to a quick search site that brings up items on CL or Ebay state by state:
http://statewidelist.com/

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Omg Vall you are the best and that search thing unreal after 15 min found one in Tampa $350 plus shipping working out the shipping will be fun but soooooo excited Thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Scott, your car is almost identical to mine (at least from the back). So chances are the only way you will be able to tell is to track the Serial number on the plate in the passenger door jamb. There area a couple of good sights on line to research the numbers. www.allpar.com is a good one to start with. Talk to gasserx on here. He is in Europe, but has a 37 Dodge and has the front sheetmetal on. Maybe you guys can swap photos so you know what parts you are looking for. If there is anything I can help with, let me know. Older Mopars are a little harder to find parts for, so every little bit helps.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Omg Vall you are the best and that search thing unreal after 15 min found one in Tampa $350 plus shipping working out the shipping will be fun but soooooo excited Thank you very much!!!
Hey glad I could help Scott! I've used the statewide search often, and it always brings up more, and faster than I can find on individual CL search.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Scott, looks to be a solid body, you build should go quickly in that area, also I have always liked the dip in the front axle on the Chrysler products.
Andy

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the front support I found is a 38 & the fenders that I bought are 37 & by my eye there is a difference so back to searching for the grill support !! I'm pist !! Well spent the weekend in the kitchen again so no coupe work but this will pay off !!!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Any chance the front support could be slightly modified to accept the fenders? In looking at pics of both cars front metal, it seems that modifying a '38 surround to fit '37 fenders would be easier than modifying a '37 surround to fit '38 fenders. Might gain a slightly different look to the car as a custom breed '37/'38.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Val I didn't think of that and that would be a good alternative so ill see if he still has it .it was a nice piece for the money grill included ill post the out come.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well just scored a 1937 rad support its in Washington but at least it is strait and in the US that will keep the shipping down ! I just spoke to the guy that I bought the fenders from he said he will be able to ship them end of this week or the first of next sooooo cool can't wait the weather is warming up the kitchen project is wrapping up just made templates for the counter top for the granite guy so the garage is coming !!!! I'm having trouble deciding on old school Hemi vers new style ??? What's the forums consensus ??? At the end of the day I feal the cost would be near the same +_ a couple g ! Also it seems that you can mate a 727 to the new gen Hemi ! Fuel economy with a new gen with great HP and very tune able (I have a friend with a computer program for them & a car dyno real cool to hang out there ;) ) ah just food for thought the old school 392 with a double pumper aaaaaaah 10 mpg at best ???? Not that I have ever built a car to be cheap on gass but the technology is amazing it appears with the new HP / fuel economy what do you hot rod guys think ?? Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You know Scott, you could put either engine in your 37 and it would be awesome. But you know, there is always someone that says ah, you shoulda, coulda, woulda done this instead. Do what you like how you like and then don't worry about the rest. You are right about the cost, pretty close to same. The nice part is you can get a crate hemi if you like, ready to roll, the older style, you have to have all the work done to it to make it what you want. I personally like the looks of the older style, but if I had a new hemi, it would be in my car too. Go for it. Good score on the radiator support/cowl.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea I truly like the looks of the old school Hemi but thought the new would be cool to install with no doubt a s load of head scratching to hide all the computer and associated eq.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Do the old Hemi for pure old school looks. Do the new for updated technology and some efficiency. The new one will probably out power the old one if set up close to the same. Flip a coin or do a cost analysis and see if one would be cheaper over the other. Then go with the cheaper. But if you plan to get more radical down the road, like a blower, screw the new. Go with the old. There is just no engine that looks like an early Hemi with a big fat blower on it. MArk

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Lots of reasons to choose either. The old ones look so cool, and just have tons of personality. The new ones don't have that old nostalgic look, but they're so troublefree and with fuel injection you could drive across the USA and never worry about any tuning issues at different atmospheres. Might have to keep the hood closed to keep from seeing all the wires, and such.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts