Gasser HotRod Forums banner
581 - 600 of 608 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Dave, conventional wisdom says not to use teflon tape for fuel fittings because teflon is a petroleum product (just like when working with natural gas you use the yellow tape) and it will dissolve if exposed to gasolene. I use Gasgacinch although if the fittings are not damaged there shouldn't be a need for any sealer.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
I've heard the same thing Steve, but have used teflon tape my whole life without any leaks. What I do make sure of is to not apply the tape to the ends of the threads as that puts tape directly into contact with gas, and dissolved tape could travel down the lines and cause clogs in the carbs. I just wrap the thread short of the ends, and it's worked fine for me.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #583 · (Edited)
I came back from the track and I noticed my makeshift door lock knob was missing. So I ordered new lock knobs again. They came yesterday and I decided to try a different way of mounting them. I tapped the knob to 1/4 Coarse thread. I took a 1/4 bolt and drilled it out down the center lengthwise. I tapped it with #8 tap. I cut it to 1/2 inch length and made an adapter for the new knob.
Hand Automotive tire Finger Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

Grille Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Hood

Hand Finger Thumb Nail Bullet

Reactions: sbauman2

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I came back from the track and I noticed my makeshift door lock knob was missing. So I ordered new lock knobs again. They came yesterday and I decided to try a different way of mounting them. I tapped the knob to 1/4 Coarse thread. I took a 1/4 bolt and drilled it out down the center lengthwise. I tapped it with #8 tap. I cut it to 1/2 inch length and made an adapter for the new knob.
View attachment 108139
View attachment 108142
View attachment 108140
View attachment 108141
View attachment 108138
You sly devil you!!

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #586 ·
I was toying with this because I saw some cool stickers on Facebook. Presented it to my son and I said “is it corny or cool”. He said corny. The car is too nice to do a cartoon like that.
I have to agree.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #589 ·
I agree with your son Mario. Tough to find something you could add to your coupe that would improve perfection.
That’s too kind. I think something gold leaf would compliment it. But what?

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
That’s too kind. I think something gold leaf would compliment it. But what?
I've always liked gold leaf with black borders like Big John Mazmanian had on his candy apple red cars. His cars always just had his name and his sponsor Isky Cams in gold leaf with black borders. I'd hate to tell you what to put on the door, but maybe something simple with your name like, "Mario's Speed Shop" or "M & M Speed Shop"?

·
Registered
951 Posts
God, that is gorgeous! Is the basecoat silver or gold. I would do the leafing in the same color as your base. As for the name? I will have to ponder it. Mine was simple because the car gave me so many temper tantrums!

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #594 ·
God, that is gorgeous! Is the basecoat silver or gold. I would do the leafing in the same color as your base. As for the name? I will have to ponder it. Mine was simple because the car gave me so many temper tantrums!
Base coat is starry night gray Metallic by DuPont. Sadly their paint doesn’t exist any longer.
thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #595 ·
Hey Mario, names are hard to match to the car. If you like the coupe idea, how about Coupe DeVille?
Thanks Mike I will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #596 ·
You could always go with the old standby, "The Italian Stallion" in gold leaf!!!!
Italian stallion ? Lol. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #597 ·
I pushed my coupe back to give me room so I can put up a picture from the track on my rafter beam. Man its hard to roll in neutral. I found a 16x24 picture frame at Michael's Crafts on sale. I printed out the picture on a matte Epson paper at work. Put it up on the beam with screws of course. I don't want any damage falling down off the laminated beam. I figured I'd save me the leg pain and fire it up to move it. So I'm idling and the volt meter is 12 volts till I tap the gas and the voltage flys up to 16 volts. That's disheartening after knowing the alternator is not that old. I've been using 60 amp alternators because I figured I don't have all that much accessory wise but I'm thinking I might need the 100 amp unit so I went to amazon and ordered a unit. I should have it in the car by tuesday. Im very curious if this will change the lifespan of my alternators. Here is the beam hall of fame. Drag racing back on Long Island gets a spot on the laminated beam.
Art Picture frame Wood Tire Beam

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Great picture Mario! Neat one to have on your garage beam! I have one somebody took of my Austin at the drags about 5 years ago, but it's so blurry once expanded that it looks terrible.
Speaking of alternators. Went to the car show yesterday here that was put on by the guy I bought my '39 from. Got about a mile from home when the whole car died! I coasted into an 7-11 store and looked under the hood, but all looked OK. Went to the trunk and switched the battery off and on, and it got power. (I later discovered that was a coincidence)
Drove to the show, but when it was over the car started slow, and once fired it was under 13 vdc. I didn't want to shut it off, so left it idling and looked at the alternator. The field plug was off, so I carefully plugged it back on, and volts went up to over 14vdc. Headed for home and a mile later it was back to low voltage. Pulled over and the connector had fallen off again. I looked closer and saw one side of the terminal was burnt off, likely from shorting to ground. Jumped in and drove home, hoping it would make it, and it did. Crimped a new end on, and plugged it back on, and it started right up, and charged.
Be sure to check that connector, as it can get a bad connection, and lose feedback causing the alternator to not regulate and go extremely high voltage!

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #599 ·
Great picture Mario! Neat one to have on your garage beam! I have one somebody took of my Austin at the drags about 5 years ago, but it's so blurry once expanded that it looks terrible.
Speaking of alternators. Went to the car show yesterday here that was put on by the guy I bought my '39 from. Got about a mile from home when the whole car died! I coasted into an 7-11 store and looked under the hood, but all looked OK. Went to the trunk and switched the battery off and on, and it got power. (I later discovered that was a coincidence)
Drove to the show, but when it was over the car started slow, and once fired it was under 13 vdc. I didn't want to shut it off, so left it idling and looked at the alternator. The field plug was off, so I carefully plugged it back on, and volts went up to over 14vdc. Headed for home and a mile later it was back to low voltage. Pulled over and the connector had fallen off again. I looked closer and saw one side of the terminal was burnt off, likely from shorting to ground. Jumped in and drove home, hoping it would make it, and it did. Crimped a new end on, and plugged it back on, and it started right up, and charged.
Be sure to check that connector, as it can get a bad connection, and lose feedback causing the alternator to not regulate and go extremely high voltage!
Thanks for that Vall. I’m gonna check right now.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #600 ·
Well it was a great suggestion but I didn‘t see any issue. So I’m still out 73 bucks. Thanks anyway.
Automotive tire Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior

Reactions: 1937Austin
581 - 600 of 608 Posts