Gasser HotRod Forums banner
561 - 580 of 608 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I haven't been able to figure that one either Mario. Maybe one of the members who does load the videos direct can tell us how to do it.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #563 ·
Never loaded pics or videos direct myself. I use my Imgur account.
Yes it has to be a linked video from another site. I was just trying what if I do this………and nothing. Lol

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 · (Edited)
I took this last night to show how close a tolerance I have with the wrist pin on two rods.

Reactions: sbauman2

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #565 ·
I’ve been having a problem with my Miller elite welding helmet For about a year now. The other day i checked my welding helmet and it was dead. I changed the batteries and it was still dead. It’s supposed to be solar powered as well. It’s 15 yrs old at least. I started shopping for a new lens assembly and it was as much as a new Miller Elite helmet. Crazy. I was shopping on Amazon for imitation substitutes. I found a few ranging from $39 to 200. Feeling uncomfortable with the pricey units I took a chance on the $39 unit I found. I put it in and it seemed to work and as soon as I came close to the fluorescent lights overhead it would Go filter dark. So I tried to adjust and it was at the lowest setting. Well Amazon makes an easy return. So I called to discuss a possible replacement And because it was made in China they wanted to refund me and return. The return at UPS store would require a package which came with it and was a paper eco friendly so I threw it out of course. UPS store charges for packaging. I told Amazon I’m not paying for packaging on a return that is defective. Then they told me to just keep it. I have to try it when I’m actually welding to see if I will keep it Or find a better unit.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #566 ·
Today I was playing beat the clock. Time change cut me short. I took out the roller cam from storage. Pulled the cam in the motor and it looked great. Placed them on the bench side by side. Love the roller. I hope I get to use it. It has 20* more duration than the flat tappet I was using. The roller paperwork stated that anything less than 14-1 compression would require installation at 4* advanced. I tried hunting for my leftover bushings I know I had but as always none to be found. Well I gotta wait till I get them delivered. Gotta check the valve clearance with the bow tie heads.
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Yellow Rim

Font Rectangle Pattern Paper Design

Sleeve Gas Household hardware Auto part Suspension

Reactions: sbauman2

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Those roller cams sure have very different shaped lobes with the much more rounded tops to the lobes. The big expense on retrofit roller cams are the lifters. On factory roller engines the lifters are actually pretty inexpensive. I love not doing cam breakins!

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
Yeah there is something to be said about not having to go through the break in.

Reactions: 1937Austin

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
I’m crossing over back to the coupe carbs temporarily. I may be heading to the track in the near future and I wanted to put in plugs in place of the powervalves. So tonight I pulled the bowls and swapped out the power valves for the plugs. Because my carbs are direct parallel I don’t think a power valve is really needed for fuel transition. Started up the engine and noticed a misfire and black smoke out the header. I have a feeling one of the needle and seats are leaking. I need to lower floats and take off the air cleaner to be sure it’s not bleeding down but it got a bit late tonight and I didn’t want to upset the neighbors. So to be continued.……..

Sleeve Gas Pattern Denim Font

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Cylinder Engineering

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·
I couldn’t wait to check the float levels and they were all leaking down. All 4. No wonder it ran like crap And rich. I looked for new needles and found 4. I was so happy till I realized I only had 85’s new. I was using 110’s in the carbs now. I looked at the old ones and one had a bad O ring. I swapped with the new one I had. 85 was not enough anyhow. Put them back in the carbs and Started running one down and checking when I saw the fuel pressure was 10 lbs. now I’m wondering how that could have happened? Lowered the pressure to 8lbs and it stopped bleeding down. So that is over till I get my new Needles and seats from Amazon.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Hey Mario, aside from the Cammer info pay close attention to the injected motor starting without the aid of another person with a squirt can. Remember the chick I told you about at the 1998 Hot Rod Reunion with the street driven injected Fiat Topolino.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Hey Mario, aside from the Cammer info pay close attention to the injected motor starting without the aid of another person with a squirt can. Remember the chick I told you about at the 1998 Hot Rod Reunion with the street driven injected Fiat Topolino.
I love everything about his Comet from the car itself to the engine setup! I always thought if someone simply added a priming pump they could make mechanical injection work for the street. He's proven that can be done.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
I couldn’t wait to check the float levels and they were all leaking down. All 4. No wonder it ran like crap And rich. I looked for new needles and found 4. I was so happy till I realized I only had 85’s new. I was using 110’s in the carbs now. I looked at the old ones and one had a bad O ring. I swapped with the new one I had. 85 was not enough anyhow. Put them back in the carbs and Started running one down and checking when I saw the fuel pressure was 10 lbs. now I’m wondering how that could have happened? Lowered the pressure to 8lbs and it stopped bleeding down. So that is over till I get my new Needles and seats from Amazon.
I check my pressure every once in awhile as those regulators can change slightly on their own. Especially so with temperature changes. Holley says to keep the pressure below 6.5 psi, so I run mine at 5.5 psi and no problems.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
Sounds great. Gotta watch it later. You retired guys have a major advantage. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #575 ·
I’m wondering if the gas being old may have thickened as well

·
Registered
951 Posts
I wish I could send my carbs to you for a freshening up. They were rebuilt when I bought them, but have sat until recently. They have a couple of leaks.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
I wish I could send my carbs to you for a freshening up. They were rebuilt when I bought them, but have sat until recently. They have a couple of leaks.
Where are the leaks coming from Dave? If it's bowls or metering block gaskets, they're super easy to replace, and cheap too! I buy bowl and metering block gaskets in lots of 10 pcs. for under $1 ea. shipped. That way I can swap jets, or do whatever and always have spares handy.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #578 ·
Dave,
Did you adjust the floats after putting the carbs on? A lot of times a too high float can cause some leaks at the top or just like in my case the fuel pressure was too high and it pushed past the needle and seat. I would be more than happy to team up with Vall and even Steve to give you some pointers to fix your problem. Even a video posted to show us where the leaks are?

Reactions: 1937Austin

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Hi Dave,
Not knowing where the leaks are it's a bit hard to know what to suggest. The first thing I'd check are the 16 float bowl screws. They're steel machine screws going into an aluminum thread; they don't need to be super tight just tight. If you over tighten them you risk a stripped thread or warping the flat mating surface on the main body. Hopefully the leaks aren't coming from the throttle shaft bores. If it is, sometimes a new nylon shaft seal will work, but a pia to install, to do it right though the base plates need to be drilled and new bushings installed. I ended up buying new base plates for mine just to be sure. There are several other possibilities but not knowing where the leaks are these are just shots in the dark. As Mario said let us know where the leaks are.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I will start it up and see if I can get the leaks on on a video. I know one is my fuel pressure gauge because I forgot to put the sealing tape on it.

561 - 580 of 608 Posts