Gasser HotRod Forums banner
521 - 528 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #521 ·
A great fix Mario and the best part was you kept it simple.
Thanks Steve. I see it that way as well. I just need to replace the on off sticker now.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #522 ·
I have been wanting to install door lock knobs for ages. I bought originals that dry rotted and tore off leaving just the threaded Barrel and this was about 12 yrs ago. Recently I ordered the anti theft cal custom style knobs because they were listed as 35 Chevy knobs. To my dismay they were a #10 thread. Mine was a #6 or 8. I kept them because they were too inexpensive to send back. I have been thinking about some sort of insert into the knob that might match the thread Of the door lock. So today I was at Ace hardware and I was looking for the seat bolts I need and I see screw anchors left on the counter. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Why couldn’t I stuff that in the door locks I have and let the anchor self tap into the rod. I gave it a shot and it worked.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Ran into the same thing Mario on my '39. The newer style door locks fell over the threaded shank on my doors. I wrapped the threads with teflon pipe tape and screwed them on, and they seem to be holding well so far.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
Well my wedding anniversary is coming up in Sept and I made an early request for M/T valve covers. The story is 3 yrs ago I bought 2 used sets. One I put on the MG. The other set I saved for the coupe. Well 2weeks ago I took them down from storage and decided to check fit with my roller rockers and girdle kit when it all checked out ok. I was psyched. So I laid them on the beach to start cleanup when I noticed a daylight see thru a crack at the bolt down area on one of the covers. Now I’m thinking welding aluminum And how will I do this. Then on the second cover I noticed a dent on the inboard side and the base was a little wavy. So I waved goodbye. Not gonna deal with it. Ive been searching all over for a decent price used valve cover and it’s gone sky high. Buy used and you get what I already have and end up with used scrap. I checked new with summit racing and they were 25$ more and polished. So I yelled hey Chele……do you mind if I order my anniversary gift early? she said sure go ahead. So I orded the the new Mickeys polished. I got them in and was looking them over when I noticed some unfinished polishing between the grids And lettering. I’m thinking that they will all look like that from China. So I called Summit and they agreed that replacements won’t be any better. So they credited me 30 bucks. Now they look great. Lol. Reason this way, If I bought used pieces at the high prices posted and polished them they would look about the same Or worse so I’m good with it. They’re not perfect but neither am I.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You may want to look at PML. WAY expensive. BUT U.S.A. :) Got these for my Cad.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I didn't realize that those MT were still being made these days? They look very traditional, and must be cast off the originals?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 ·

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #528 ·
I didn't realize that those MT were still being made these days? They look very traditional, and must be cast off the originals?
I like them Vall. Except for the unfinished polishing on top. Like I said if I would have polished them they would have looked worse. Plus imagine all the sanding and polishing and buffing I would have to do.

521 - 528 of 528 Posts