Gasser HotRod Forums banner

501 - 520 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 ·
Tied up some loose ends on the panels with screws and put up the dome light glass. Cleaned up the driver seat And bolted it down with the new seat harness. One down one to go.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
Looks beautiful Mario! Ready for this spring/summer cruise season!
Thanks Vall. Hopefully passenger side tonight. I’m not happy with the carpet. It’s flimsy. It’s probably not going to last long. I’m hesitant to glue it down at all. But pics look great. :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Looks good, I used rubber mat from Miami Corporation in Cinn OH. Seems like you got to spend a fortune to get good carpet and I'm not that great on installing it anyway.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
Looks good, I used rubber mat from Miami Corporation in Cinn OH. Seems like you got to spend a fortune to get good carpet and I'm not that great on installing it anyway.
Thank you VHT.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #506 ·
Tonight I think is my last cab interior night. I put in the passenger seat and belts. I found these great floor mats. I think they give the exact finishing touch I was looking for. Next up is a massive cleanup in and out.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
Nice finishing touch!
Thank you Vall. I had to actually cut them to fit. They were too wide. I took a chance on one Side then did the other.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Mario did not want to say anything about the carpet...but since you already did, I am with you, not really my first choice..now the matts I like, they fit with the rest of it..you really do not see much of the other any way...I bought a pre-made set for an extend cab truck and cut it down to fit a regular cab was not cheap going that route...looks good, a lot of hard work and it shows

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #510 ·
Mario did not want to say anything about the carpet...but since you already did, I am with you, not really my first choice..now the matts I like, they fit with the rest of it..you really do not see much of the other any way...I bought a pre-made set for an extend cab truck and cut it down to fit a regular cab was not cheap going that route...looks good, a lot of hard work and it shows
Your opinion is always welcome good or bad. Never hold back. Never never hold back. Now I’m gonna rip it all out and start over. No I’m kidding.
but I do highly respect all everyone’s opinions.
I first want to thank Brendon for making the pattern material known. 2nd thanks go out to Vall for having the courage to do his own interior and giving me the encouragement to try my own interior. 3rd is to Amazon for losing my delivery and Delivering it anyway free of charge. Inconvenient as it was at the time the multiple pattern types worked for me.
thanks to all who commented and supported me.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #511 ·
So today Mike wanted to help me clean up the coupe and get it road worthy again. Pushed out the car and I got the leaf blower out to get all the powder dust off the car. Then we washed it. I went to get in and take it for a ride, and I noticed my inspection was up in March. Shoot. I called my inspection guy and he was closing. Next time. So I had to behave and drive like a sane person. I went out to the highway started driving and at 30 mph or so I couldn’t help it so I punched the gas. Well to my shagrinn it started spinning the tires. I turned and looked at Mike and he had a big smile on his face And so did I. Apparently the kick down I added made a world of difference and i must have full throttle now too since I fixed the pedal and bell crank. I felt like a new man when I got home. Oh what a feeling. Now somebody get me a wheel chair cause my legs are shot. :)

Reactions: 1946Austin

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #512 ·
Way back when I went to Beaver Springs Dragway, the tech inspector told me to install a battery disconnect with an outside push pull handle somewhere at the back of the car. Before I went back I rush installed a chute cable but never noticed it was geometrically unfit. However it did work at the time, I never noticed the angle it had. So last week it reared its ugly head when it disconnected by itself with vibration. I disconnected the cable and the switch snapped right into on and off position. It was the cable preventing it from snapping completely on in position. I drove it without the cable connected to be safe. So now I have to reconfigure the bracket and or the switch position. I attached some pics for all to look at. If you have any suggestions they are all welcome. Although I warn all I am a bit pig headed and do my own thing at times even with suggestions. LOL So fire away when you think of any easy fix. My first idea is to rotate the switch slightly counter clockwise. But then the cable is still at the wrong angle. Seems I may have to do both.

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Confused me at first as I read "chute cable" and thought you had two issues. Then realized you used the chute cable for the battery disconnect. My first thought was simply fabricate or rework the support bracket that aligns it better. I suppose moving the battery to make use of a straight rod and a push/pull handle isn't feasible.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #514 ·
Confused me at first as I read "chute cable" and thought you had two issues. Then realized you used the chute cable for the battery disconnect. My first thought was simply fabricate or rework the support bracket that aligns it better. I suppose moving the battery to make use of a straight rod and a push/pull handle isn't feasible.
I thought the same. I need to raise the level and angle down to pull the on switch fully locked. When pushed and it’s released it just has to move over the snap position to disconnect. Better to fully snap on than to have it pop in and out causing a shut down.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I would make up an L bracket, mount it to the switch knob that is there so that you can move the cable out board on the switch giving you free range and no bind...you could use a old throttle ball socket link to attach to it...any way you do it the linkage needs to be mounted out board

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #516 ·
Vall and Lash thank you for your input. I’m not concerned so much with the push as I am with the pull. It needs to get passed the snap in the “on” position. I’m thinking of changing the bracket angel to match the swing in the “on” stop position. Even with an L bracket the angle would still need to change. Bind won’t be an issue to push the cable just off the “on” rest position.

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
The L bracket is a good idea. You could also buy a small heim end that is the same thread count as the cable end and simply screw it on the cable end. That will allow for any slight misalignment too. My local hardware store has heim ends down to 8-32 size, and your cable end is likely #10 or 1/4" fine?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Vall read my mind. A heim joint would do wonders for ya.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #519 ·
I looked at the setup and I took apart the switch bracket to see if I could hang it in a better position. I noticed the switch bracket bolt down was single and weak. The switch with the bracket moved with the cable which was part of my problem as to why it wasn't engaging fully anymore. I came up with flipping it upside down and putting a 90 bend in it to seat it at the battery box. In doing so I had a great angle with the on position lever, so the pull was well within the cable travel. Then I put the final lock nuts on the cable and the push to off positon worked great too. I left a small space in between to allow for the travel it needed. The end of the cable is the part that moves in and out. I tested it a number of times and it works great now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
A great fix Mario and the best part was you kept it simple.

501 - 520 of 523 Posts