Gasser HotRod Forums banner
481 - 500 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
So I’m mapping out the carpet for the floor. I laid down a chip board to make a template for holes and cutouts around roll bar posts on the floor. Seat bolt holes and seatbelt holes. Shifter holes, chute release cable holes and for the E brake, brake pedal and steering column. Lots of variables here but most are forgiving.
While I’m doing all this I noticed my belts are 2010 certified. Whoops maybe a problem if they have the special 1/8 mile drags out at the air strip which finally went across the town board members desk With a 14 event proposal. I want nothing more than to pound that strip. So I ordered a replacement set to go in as I start putting back interior stuff.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I cannot wait for pictures to see how you go around the trans tunnel. But they do make a carpet kit for my cat, that might be easier.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 ·
I cannot wait for pictures to see how you go around the trans tunnel. But they do make a carpet kit for my cat, that might be easier.
I hate to disappoint Dave but I don’t have much of a trans tunnel. It’s just a slight round at the front of the floor. A little glue and Across I go.

Reactions: 1946Austin

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I hate to disappoint Dave but I don’t have much of a trans tunnel. It’s just a slight round at the front of the floor. A little glue and Across I go.
Same here Mario! I can barely see the slight bow I made in the trans cover for the floor in my '39. Easiest carpet I ever did!

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I can't wait to see your "cat" when you carpet it too! How do you get the cat to sit still while you carpet him?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #486 ·
Today was a banner day with sun and me wearing short sleeves again.
I set up saw horses outside with my makeshift work bench and carpet laid out all across with the chipboard template on top. Lots of holes and slits all over the place. I made all my outside cuts and used red marker to mark the holes in the carpet from the chip board template. I was a little hesitant but then I dove right in. I cut out the roll bar posts. I put it in place on the coupe floor. No turning back now. It looked halfway decent. Then I remembered about the access plate in the floor for the master cylinder. So I put the brakes on the install, no pun intended, and I’m gonna think this out some. I’m gonna half to take the plate off and screw it on top the carpet with it’s own carpet on top. Something like that.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Looking good Mario! That's one reason I went with an ugly firewall mount master. I know sooner or later I'd dribble brake fluid on the carpet!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #488 ·
Looking good Mario! That's one reason I went with an ugly firewall mount master. I know sooner or later I'd dribble brake fluid on the carpet!
yes gotta be careful. I think mine needed to be inside to clean up the firewall.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
So I pulled a double header today. I was able to come up with a simple fix for the master cyl cover. I’m getting floor mats so it shouldnt be an issue. For you symmetrical eye guys I realize the screws are not spaced properly. I wasn’t going to start drilling and tapping a new hole after 11 years of Being as it is Now. I screwed in the shifter. Too.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Mario, I have been watching all the work you have done to your interior. I think it looks great and you did yourself proud.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I really like the color and look of that carpet!

What will go between the shifter boot and floor Mario? Looks like it's missing something still?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
Mario, I have been watching all the work you have done to your interior. I think it looks great and you did yourself proud.
Thanks so much Mike, much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #495 ·
I really like the color and look of that carpet!

What will go between the shifter boot and floor Mario? Looks like it's missing something still?
The plastic console is going on real soon. be patient my friend,,,,,LOL

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
I made it out there today again and spent about 3hrs. My knee and legs have had it so I’m gonna rest the rest of the evening. That being said, I nailed down the chute handle and cable again. Then I put Vall’s shifter console in place. :). After I set up the console I wanted do a neutral safety and reverse light check. All was good. Thank God. The shifter housing has an indicator light and I needed to check that it worked also. I pulled the headlight switch and nothing. I knew something was gonna go wrong.
I looked outside at the headlights and again nothing. I know I man handled all the wires under by the fuse panel and relay panel, but I double checked for loose ends. I thought maybe a fuse blew but headlights have battery power at the switch so how could it be a fuse? Now I’m worried. The dimmer switch is my next thought and it’s a real pain to get to from the cowl. I looked for a connector disconnect but the switch is hard wired with screws and eyelit Connectors. I thought let me look at the headlight switch and check for power. So I laid under the dash and I grab the light to look at the wires and I see a blown fuse at the back of the switch. I forgot I had an original headlight switch and it has an onboard fuse. Pheeeeeewwwwwwww that was close. Now I gotta find a barrel fuse amongst all the modular style and I don’t see one. Crap where am I gonna get one? I go upstairs and find a wire harness box of goodies. In there was a single line fuse panel with 20 and 30 amp fuses. Bingo. I used my circuit relay tester to make sure the circuit is good and it was fine so I finished up and moved on to the gas pedal. I must have hit that switch with something that made the fuse blow. I put the driver kick panel in place and remembered I need to make a small bracket to pin the panel in place deeper at the back. All went well with that. So at this point I called it quits. Thanks for the encouragement from all of you. It’s a big motivator.
PSi posted the pic of the original headlight switch.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I really like the chute lever location and how you did it. If your hands and fingers are in the same shape as mine it makes it hard to do wiring. I bump a wire againt something and then I'm changing a fuse. That interior looks so good I'll let you come to Ky and redo mine!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 ·
I really like the chute lever location and how you did it. If your hands and fingers are in the same shape as mine it makes it hard to do wiring. I bump a wire againt something and then I'm changing a fuse. That interior looks so good I'll let you come to Ky and redo mine!
Thanks VHT yeah I’m putting my sausage fingers up behind the dash and god knows what can happen. Lol

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Thought you had a battery disconnect switch on your car Mario? Was the battery on during the carpet job allowing a short?
Looks great on the carpet, and interior! Bet it feels good to have this behind you?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #500 ·
Thought you had a battery disconnect switch on your car Mario? Was the battery on during the carpet job allowing a short?
Looks great on the carpet, and interior! Bet it feels good to have this behind you?
Yes I do have a disconnect but during the radio install I was on and off with the power. Must have been on when it happened. In fact I thought I heard a little pop at the dash once earlier in the install.

481 - 500 of 528 Posts