Gasser HotRod Forums banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Administrator
13,585 Posts
Some thing I thought I would not see..was going to home depot the other day and I got passed be 1924 Dodge coupe like mine but in red...same stance lowered and more than likely a small block in it cause it had a full hood...can not have that with a big block Hemi
To bad you weren't in yours! You could have compared engines!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Thought while I was waiting for parts I would go thru and see what hardware I needed too put this beast back together...decide not to use the crap that was on there...must have been the dad's kid that did the BBC pump conversion cause all the bolts where miss matched and some the wrong length...as well as a ton of silicone on every thing..I hate that shit..they always use it where it is not needed most places on these old engines...any way I went with all stainless cap head screws on the timing cover, H2o pump and cross over, and belt pulley...$ 40 bucks with spring washers and a few others..but it will look much better

·
Administrator
13,585 Posts
Hardware adds up quickly, and even more so when it's grade 8, or stainless! I don't mind silicone if used in the right places, and cleaned up. I hate seeing it oozing out of every gasket surface on an engine too!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
Well got a lot of my parts in...went with qa1 coil overs that I am going to adapt to a gm style so that the spring goes on the frame instead of on the shock upper...got it fitted up to discover that the spring perch is canted at the wrong angle and causes a bind in the travel... so after a lot of playing around I am going to make a wedge to go under the spring and correct the angel on the spring so as not to bind...I hope...seems that the builder wanted the lowered look but instead of using a drop spindle he dropped it at the lower control arms throwing any common since as to geometry out the window my set up will raise it back up and put the steering rods from the rack in plane with the lower arms...seems like I am right back at having to make every thing for this car..had to redo a lot of stuff just to get the control arm bushing to fir correctly was a chore but they are right now....

·
Administrator
13,585 Posts
Well got a lot of my parts in...went with qa1 coil overs that I am going to adapt to a gm style so that the spring goes on the frame instead of on the shock upper...got it fitted up to discover that the spring perch is canted at the wrong angle and causes a bind in the travel... so after a lot of playing around I am going to make a wedge to go under the spring and correct the angel on the spring so as not to bind...I hope...seems that the builder wanted the lowered look but instead of using a drop spindle he dropped it at the lower control arms throwing any common since as to geometry out the window my set up will raise it back up and put the steering rods from the rack in plane with the lower arms...seems like I am right back at having to make every thing for this car..had to redo a lot of stuff just to get the control arm bushing to fir correctly was a chore but they are right now....
Hope you get the '24 on the road before the whole cruise season is over!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well got one side almost done...had to spend most of my time making a wedge to go under the spring...got it hung, camber set...caster was ok went to tighten every thing up but I need two more 5/8 washers for the top control arm bolts...I like these extra thick grade 8 ones that Napa has that have a nice flat hole shoulder that is great for retaining sleeves and such...but as that dark cloud followed me there they had none, so off to the local hardware store there stock is also out, well I stopped, and picked up the shop what could go wrong doing that...ok where is that damn cloud at

Attachments

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Well today I got un-frustrated with waiting for parts and started the headlight change over...I got lucky and found every thing at the local hardware store...or in my junk stuff...I used some leaf spring bushings some steel sleeves pressed in...and for a spacer I found some bronze pipe fittings that I drilled out to fit, used some o-rings to stop and type of rotation, sandwiched between every thing (friction)...now i Need to find some boots to cover where it meets at the radiator shell and get some chrome washers and acorn nuts and maybe polish the bronze fittings...there not as nice as the bullet ones that where defective but a big improvement over the originals
Wow love the headlights.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Have been working on the 24 every day but every thing is going slow due to having to redo every F...ing thing...thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel with having only the driver side suspension left...got it torn down bushing changed out...but removing the old ones on this side was a chore...they where tore up...so I had to investigate as to why...well it turns out that some one thought you could adjust spindle caster by
shortening one end bushing link...NOT...you have to have a heim ends for that...so the bushing where in a bind...so I got that figured out then I bolt the lower control arm up and check the shock/coilover alignment, it is off a full 2 inchs from center...so after a real going over with a straight edge I find the arm is bent plus there are spots that have the primer missing under the black paint telling me some one had been heating it up...and the to top it off the hole for the shock is drilled 3/16 off center, causing the shock misalignment, so i egg shaped the hole then made a washer and welded it on to the mount plate bring the hole to center again... heated the arm got it nice and straight then applied heat all over to normalize the metal.....so far I have had to make almost every spacer and bushing...and even modify the shock mount bushings this make for some real slow progress..plus welding up holes and grinding shit down so my new parts will fit

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,585 Posts
All the fixes you're doing should make it drive even better than before! The washer welded on is a great fix, and much easier than more involved fixes. Sure hope to hear you're driving the '24 soon, and having fun with it! Summer's still got a lot left to go!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Vall there wasn't a choice on the weld in a washer do to space...but I did make the washer my self out of 1/4" plate so it is beefy...just not as pretty as I would like it...oh well..this is a year around driver, it has a heater...so if it is dry out...I am a driven

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Well I finally got back to the dodge...pulled the timing cover and pan along with all the stuff to get them off....dropped the pan and saw some grey stuck to the pan bottom kind of paniced at first...then pulled the timing cover and saw a nice snug roller timing chain..got back under with a drop light and looked up in to the internals...i could see hone pattern still half way up some of the clylinders could see a few cam lobes ...looks barely broken in..back of pistons look to be old school forged...and looks to have been balanced as well..so I guess the grey is from the break in ...I was told it only had about 2k miles and still had not had its first oil chain...I guess I was for once told the truth...it also has the race oil pump coversion...the bad is the leak is from the oil pan that had been made into an 7 qt pan but the back corners were cut and it will never seal...the good is it is not the rear main seal...I have a stock pan coming and a new pump pick up tube and gaskets...put it back up to keep dirt out ...got the cover and front of engine cleaned up and proper bolts on every thing....stripped off all the black paint that was on the T-cover and Iam going with the natural alloy look...pump and cover with some stainless hardware...I am also stripping off all the AN fitting stuff with the stainless fuel lines ( its old ), and I am going with all black of the new type of of fuel line..and black AN fittings...want a old school look with out the bling

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,585 Posts
I think the same way Lash. I am not a fan of the bare SS AN lines, and fittings. I prefer black too. Sounds like the Dodge isn't going to see much cruise time this season with all the upgrades you're making to it.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Well I finally got back to the dodge...pulled the timing cover and pan along with all the stuff to get them off....dropped the pan and saw some grey stuck to the pan bottom kind of paniced at first...then pulled the timing cover and saw a nice snug roller timing chain..got back under with a drop light and looked up in to the internals...i could see hone pattern still half way up some of the clylinders could see a few cam lobes ...looks barely broken in..back of pistons look to be old school forged...and looks to have been balanced as well..so I guess the grey is from the break in ...I was told it only had about 2k miles and still had not had its first oil chain...I guess I was for once told the truth...it also has the race oil pump coversion...the bad is the leak is from the oil pan that had been made into an 7 qt pan but the back corners were cut and it will never seal...the good is it is not the rear main seal...I have a stock pan coming and a new pump pick up tube and gaskets...put it back up to keep dirt out ...got the cover and front of engine cleaned up and proper bolts on every thing....stripped off all the black paint that was on the T-cover and Iam going with the natural alloy look...pump and cover with some stainless hardware...I am also stripping off all the AN fitting stuff with the stainless fuel lines ( its old ), and I am going with all black of the new type of of fuel line..and black AN fittings...want a old school look with out the bling
That’s good to hear Lash. I love the alloy look too. Was the pickup welded completely round the pump outlet or just tacked to stop it from walking out? how much will it take to swap pickups?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
That’s good to hear Lash. I love the alloy look too. Was the pickup welded completely round the pump outlet or just tacked to stop it from walking out? how much will it take to swap pickups?
Mario most of the MoPar stuff is thread on for rthe oil pick ups...just getting the right combo is the problem, for the 360 engine oil pump is a bit tricky

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Mario most of the MoPar stuff is thread on for rthe oil pick ups...just getting the right combo is the problem, for the 360 engine oil pump is a bit tricky
Ohh I understand. I’m not familiar with hemi’s. Hope you get the right combination the first shot.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Well I got back to the shop for a little bit...winter is coming so got to get house and property ready for it....I decide the two four barrels have to go...I pulled it off today and to my suprise the heads and intake have a really nice port job...one of the best I have seen, opened up all the way to ithe intake valves and really smoothed nicely..and not overly enlarged kind of a little over sized than a gasket port match...going to put a hotheads single plain alloy 4 barrel on it...I think it will look better and will run cleaner..the engine just looked to clutered...Now if I can find a good used Hunt Mag...that would be icing on the cake...hoping that selling the 2x4 intake pays for all my changes...since they announced that the intake was discountinued the prices have gone up

Attachments

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Just a reminder Lash, that a magneto doesn't have a retard capability so at lower rpms and slower speeds you need to down shift for good acceleration especially with higher gearing. My 428 has a lot of bottom end grunt but even with the 4:56 gears I'm running, in 2nd gear at 3 grand or lower and want to stab it I have to down shift to first. A lot of that would be remedied if I ever get off my ass and install my gear vendors unit.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Lash that Dodge is like a box of chocolates. You never know what youre gonna gette. So far all good chocolate. What a deal.
Steve, you got 2rides. put the gear vender unit in. That was a great score. Drive the Willys as a consolation. What a consolation to have. A Willys!!!,

·
Registered
672 Posts
Well I got back to the shop for a little bit...winter is coming so got to get house and property ready for it....I decide the two four barrels have to go...I pulled it off today and to my suprise the heads and intake have a really nice port job...one of the best I have seen, opened up all the way to ithe intake valves and really smoothed nicely..and not overly enlarged kind of a little over sized than a gasket port match...going to put a hotheads single plain alloy 4 barrel on it...I think it will look better and will run cleaner..the engine just looked to clutered...Now if I can find a good used Hunt Mag...that would be icing on the cake...hoping that selling the 2x4 intake pays for all my changes...since they announced that the intake was discountinued the prices have gone up
Time for the "belt driven parts destroyer". A quote from my A/f buddy. Who by the way now runs AA/F :rolleyes:

61 - 80 of 91 Posts