Gasser HotRod Forums banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I might have to put the hemi away after my friend reread the engine #'s to me ...what I thought was a 2 is a 3 witch makes it a very rare fuel injected engine only 16 produced for sale and only 21 built total... no one knows where they went, mine is #19...one of the 5 unknowns I am looking into casting # comparison... the cars in collector condition are at about $82,000....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi Lash, I have a 1955 Chrysler 331 hemi tucked away in the shop if that would help you out. Give me an IM if interested and we can talk.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks Mike for the offer a 331 is not a bad start point for a baby Hemi...but after talking to the builders wife she believes the car it came out of was a wrecked 300 series( she remembers big fins) so the body is way more than likely to have been crushed years ago...unless some one wants to build a clone...it is just another 2x4 Hemi...so I am going to just run it...I love just owning it and firing it up...I dont want to not have another project any way...this I can drive and fix things as I go along...and work on my truck also...the 331 has the most desirable heads of them all and being the Chrysler makes it that much better than a DeSoto or Dodge

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just can not leave things alone can you Lash...lol...decide the dodge needs some repairs and up grades...found a bad bushing on the lower control arm and a bad inner tie rod on the rack...and the shock is not blown but is tired had too pull most every thing to get to the rack...and while I was in there I did a pressure test on the radiator and it leaks...but never left a drop until I put the pressure to it...so I will take it to a shop and have them deal with it, since it is a thick core witch are a little more difficult to repair than a thin one...note the Gabriel shock that inserts in to a coil over sleeve....of course it is discontinued so the hunt is on.... looks to be a mustang II shock.....the kicker is it is a light press fit in to the housing...so finding one with the same Dia. is going to be a chore...new tires are also due...there old...not checked or cracked ..but worn uneven...got to find some one that has a press with a gauge so I can test the coil over springs...I think they have sagged do to an elephant sitting one them for the last 20 years...other changes are coming up got to make it what I want...really needs a Hilborn type scoop...also took out the old aaaaah-oooga horn since it was weak and will replace with a standard horn that is really loud

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
QA-1 will have the shock. I’m sure they aren’t cheap though. The horn may be resurrected with a WD40 soak. Spray it down inside and let it sit [email protected] while. I did mine like that. It came back. I was so happy because the most common replacement is just an OOOOGAAAA HORN. Mine is an AAAAAHHHHHOOOOOGAAAA. Ssounds like I’m joking but I’m not. They are different. Mine is real hard to find again. .

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi Lash,
I took all four of the shocks on my 64 off and upgraded them a bit. Anyway, the ones I took off are the same as the ones you have. If interested, PM me. I will check the diameter of the bottom cup today out in the shop.
Mike

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I was wondering when we'd see an update of changes you'd be making! Sounds like you're getting it tidied up, and perfected. Hope it's not apart too long, and you miss this summer's cruising season!

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Vall I hope so also...I am getting every thing ready for reassembly when parts arrive so things will go quick once here...here is the shock setup I dont think people got what I was talking about all steel heavy duty, shock plugs into lower housing and a bolt goes thru the eye of the shock and thru the first hole in the lower body...car hit the scales at 3500lbs. when it was weighted for registration with the 350 chevy in it.... I am thinking add another 150 lbs. for the hemi and trans adapter so 3650lbs....witch is past the recommend weight most coil over manufacturers state with their product

Attachments

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Mike do you have a pic of the fronts and know the compressed and extended length...and are they 50/50 or 90/10 or something else...thanks Lash

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This is the only one I have, I will check and get a better one if you need it, I don't remember if the shocks were drag race or not. Let you know.
Mike

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well Say Good Bye....to the big ugly headlights that screamed antique and not hot rod...since I have the radiator out I figured it was time to improve the front look....got the old headlights out with out any damage...but I did have to make up a wrench to remove them...also re-did the lower grille shell mounts and I am moving the rods that support the radiator to the grille shell

Attachments

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Vall I found some 5" dia. chrome bullet type headlights...will have to make a mount for them but what else is new....lol

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Now you know that nothing is ever easy for the Holenator Vall because whatever he makes has to have holes, LOL!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think your Dodge SUCKS!! Because it's not mine!!

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well that dark dodge cloud just will not go away...every thing that has showed up has been defective or the specs on the part is not even close..coil over spring should be 2.5" i.d. it is almost 2 5/8" way to sloppy...and I was charged 4X retail from summit...both headlights where damaged...shocks where advertised as 1.84" but are 1.5" and will not work...every part so far has to go back

21 - 40 of 80 Posts