Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here you go on some pics...not every ones cup of tea...but it is easy to get in and out of very comfy to sit in and will scare the shit out of you when you nail it...I dont scare easy but it has surprised me a few times...a 3 inch chop would make it look better but I cannot see doing that to it

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Great color, and paint combination. The wheels are really nice too. And of course the hemi is over the top! Congratulations on finding such a cool car!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today I got a good look at the frame and its construction..crawled around on my back....this thing is built like a brick shit house....2x4 full length as well as cross members...front cross member is 4" round pipe, the plates to the engine are 1/2"...welds are pro looking very well done...worked on the carbs and got rid of the progressive set up..now it runs on both the front and back carb primaries...seemed like the front cylinders where starving when pulling a long hill..even though the plugs looked good...lots to do needs front end work some one at time lowered it with the coil overs and never reset the toe or camber,,,and there is a small amount of play in the rack...that I will have to try and adjust out as well as pull the ends loose and check inner and out ends...as well replace the front tires they are really old..going to raise it back up where it belongs...at least so far nothing to fix that will leave the car non-op...fingers crossed....and yes I did measure to see if the hemi would fit the ranger.............lol

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I tried to think of something clever to say and all I came up with is, "I think I hate you Lash"; LOL!! Hey man it is so cool, congrats and can't with for the video with sound.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont be Mad Steve my wallet is already pissed at me...I am having to cut a lot of fun stuff to afford this one...but every time I take it out to test some changes I have to slap the smile off my face with a shovel..........lol

·
Registered
725 Posts
I love it. I agree a chop would look nice but why change a good thing?

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
I love that it has a moon roof!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vall my buddy who is a big classic Buick fan bought the trailer from me...I did not see that ad..I found it on face book...those must be the old photos of the car from 2017, it is not that clean in person and shows some wear and tear, his mom had the car up on face book since 2019..she made up a photo book of the build and engine change and a bunch of stuff that came with the car..the post said 30K in 2019 then $27500 in 2000..then in 2021 it went down to 25k..and I ended up getting it at 20k after wheeling and dealing and my buddy buying the trailer witch is really cool...the face book post said turn key...not even close..and was covered in farm dust even came with a nice car cover...shame they did not use it...or take care of the car when the dad died in 2003...I wish I still had a scanner I would post some of the great pics that I got of the build and the man who built it...he was a true car guy and a craftsman of the highest caliber in the frame and design manufacturer...I didn't find the post on face book another friend of mine found it and alerted me...since I bought it, I bought him and his wife dinner out...plus another $1900 to transfer and re-title it...so all in, I am at about 22k.. the insurance thru Haggerty's was another $388 for there extended liability policy and I am going to sink another 1k to fix a lot of small stuff..and get the suspension straightened out...I am I happy with the deal I got...you bet yea...if it still had the small block Chevy in it I probably would have passed

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I am afraid I have to agree with Steve, "I think I hate you Lash" !!!!! Well at least it is a MOPAR and a hemi to boot. Really cool car. Are we going to help you gas it or is it going to be a cruizer?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike I am keeping it as is..I live up near Mt. Rainier and it is all curves going any where...Ok so why would I be doing this???see pic

Attachments

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup... the trunk lid uses a prop rod..after it bonked me in the head, I decided it needs some gas struts...so I am using an on line formula to calculate what I need ...lid weights 20lbs....cleaning out all the crud in the trunk...an re carpet it while I am waiting for some parts...car needs a lot of little stuff..and I need to remove some stuff from the shop to make room for both rides...my buddy has to do the same so he can park the trailer at his place...he has 4 classic Buick's

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Congrats Lash on an awesome deal. Cool car and way cool motor. Happy for you.
PS. Put the tape measure down and the sawzall and step away from the car. Lol

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Mario...have been working on the carbs...and have come to the conclusion it is just over carbed, after breaking down the part numbers these are the Federal Mogul versions of the carter AFB's and are 650cfm each that is 1300 cfm total...I have played with them and found that they have the wrong jet needles in them...they have 3 step emission type in stead of pre-emission 2 step needles...each uses its own type of main jet...not interchangeable...I have it running ok but no where near its potential, I may change out the carbs for a pair of Holley 390cfm's...or I may make up my own set up using two 350cfm 2 barrels running in tandem on some 3" cambered spacers...the one problem I find is no one looks at the car...only the engine...really

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Any reason why you took it off progressive linkage? Are the front and back isolated in the plenum? If it’s open plenum then if you are over carbed That would make it more compatible for driving, wouldn't it? I for the most part would not use carter style Carbs. Depending on if you have an open plenum manifold, which I can’t tell in the pics, I would Use the 1850’s in progressive mount and fatten up the rear carb to carry the delivery and leave the front one stock jets. Tuning will be so much easier that way. You can find 1850’s cheap enough.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mario manifold is an old style single plane no plenum...on progressive set up the fronts starve for air /fuel compared to the middle and back...plug readings confirm it....making the carb run rich will not get the air fuel mixture to the front cylinders it will just make the rears and center cylinders run rich...nothing wrong with AFB's they are very tune-able and I can change all the setting in just a few minutes...with no mess like a holley...I would like a good pair of the Carter AFB, 400's but they go for an arm and a leg and that is for really poor condition ones...I like my engines to run clean with a liner throttle response...I am leaning towards two of the 350cfm two barrels with some 2-3" spacers (chambers) plus they would not have to be removed for jet changes well at ,least one anyway on the four barrel...Holley sells them refurbished...but right now there website says they have none in stock carbs at all...love the tunnel ram that hot heads sells but the change over requires you to use there cross over and pulley kit to use it. so about 2 two grand there with out carbs...I really need to get off my lazy ass and put my oxy sensor in the system to know where I really stand when making changes...it is nice that I have what the town refers to as the 1/4 mile just out side of town...lol for testing...thanks for the input...always welcomed

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got my Air conditioning fixed to day.............lol......parts came that I ordered hoping that I could adapt them to the stripped out mess that was in the car....drilled and tapped out the window frame brackets...nice that windshield swings out ,shaved down some carb studs...so that I could use the ford type knobs and hardware...parts cost $21 shipping $10

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
You'll really love the swing out windshield come the summer days! My Austin has one that cranks open with a chain drive, and I sometimes run it almost horizontal on hot days.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts