Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
13,534 Posts
I think so. But a bigger issue is there's fewer and fewer 14" tires available these days. Soon it will be almost impossible to buy tires for 14" rims.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think so. But a bigger issue is there's fewer and fewer 14" tires available these days. Soon it will be almost impossible to buy tires for 14" rims.
Ah, good point. I never considered that. I bet Coker sells them for 1 million dollars just like everything else.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I myself don't like the look of a 14" wheel on a larger car. At one point when I had 4" X 15" slots on my 53 and was looking for a pair of 15" Torque Thrust wheels a pair of 14" came up on ebay so I bought them, purchased the tallest pair of the skinniest 14" tires I could find and then put them on the car. The first problem I encountered was when I let the car down off the jack the axle was to low to clear the jack so I jacked it back up, put a piece of 2x4 under each wheel, let it down and drove it off the 2x4s. The bigger issue was the way it looked, the wheels and tires were just to short and didn't look right; to me anyway. I ended up putting the skinny slots back on and sold the 14" wheels and tires for a big loss. A while later a pair of 15 X 4 1/2 Torque Thrusts came up on CL and I got them.
Just went through my 53 files. Could only do a screen grab from a video that shows the 14s on the car then a photo of the 15s for comparison.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Administrator
13,534 Posts
Both my Austin, and my Falcon started out with 14" front wheels, just by coincidence. The Austin because the guy I bought the car from tossed them in with the deal. The Falcon because I bought a full set of ET Torq Thrust type wheels at the swap meet and fronts were 14" and 15" rears. So I ran them until I found 15" and then sold the 14's.
They didn't look bad at all on the Austin, but as Steve mentioned the Falcon's big slicks made the 14" fronts look weirdly small.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, you guys are right. I really do have other things to do than worry about my wheels right now.

·
Registered
665 Posts
15's are also getting scarce. Prices for 15's are going WAY up.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how much these go for since there's 6 days left.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Very true. I experienced a long hunt for back tires. Fronts are easier to find. Import sizes can be 14’s

Reactions: 1946Austin
1 - 10 of 10 Posts