Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has or does anyone know if 14 in wheels will clear calipers and brackets on pickup straight axle? Thanks, Andy:confused:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Many 60's and 70's cars came with 14" wheels and disc brakes but I don't know what the rotor sizes were.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, & Gary, I currently don't have my roters & calipers I haven't purchased any yet because my front wheels & tires are 14 in. Just wondering if anyone knew before I order a set. All of the bolt on kits without machining the spindals seem to be with 11 in rotors, does anyone know of a differant kit that bolts on with smaller rotors and calipers? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
922 Posts
I just happened to think, my '36 has a Speedway brake setup with Volare rotors and GM metric calipers. 14" steal wheels fit just fine. Cast aluminum wheels I'm not sure about.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gary, my 14 in wheels are a two piece design the face or spoke area is magnesium but the main rim is steel like a standard steel 14 in wheel. That is particularly why I bought them because I had planned on using disc brakes. Andy

·
Registered
922 Posts
My car came with a pair of 14" Raders that I plan to use. They are also 2 piece. The Strange Engineering rotors are already mounted on the axle butI don't have the right brackets to mount the calipers yet. They aren't very bulky so I don't think I'll have a problem.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gary, hope you don't have any clearance issues, let us know how it goes. By the way have you been able to get any further on the sheet metal work on yours? I know the weather dictates how much and when you can work. Andy

·
Administrator
13,420 Posts
The 2nd gen Camaros came factory with 11" rotors and 14" wheels. Very close, but they cleared just fine on my '71 Camaro frontend.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
It's going to be offset and the style of the wheel center that are probably most important. The wheels that work with discs pretty much go up straight from the wheel mounting surface or away from it (outward). Also, what calipers are you using? Some aftermarket calipers are more beefy (wider and taller) than stock type.

Speedway's kit (probably the most popular one) says this:

Improve the stopping power of your 1941-1959 Chevy 1/2 ton pick-up without replacing the factory beam axle. Works with 15" or larger wheels with the GM 5-on-4.75" bolt pattern. Increases front track width 7/16" per side (7/8" total).

Kit Includes:

11" brake rotor, 5 x 4-3/4"
Brake pads
GM Caliper slide bolts
1969-77 calipers (7/16"-20 inlets)
Brake brackets
Rubber Brake Lines
Hardware
Seals
Inner bearing cups
Inner bearing cones
Spacers
Outer bearing cones
Dust caps
Instructions

Here is the link. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Deluxe-Disc-Brake-Kit-1941-1959-Chevy-Half-Ton-Pickup,4622.html

Not sure if their system requires 15" or recommends it because of it being close on some 14"-ers. It does say in the instructions that they are 70-77 Camaro rotos and calipers and like Vall said, he had 14" wheels on his. Here's the pdf instructions => http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/910-31916.pdf

Good luck.

Mike

p.s. I do have a '76 T/A clip and some stock 14" Chevy wheels I can check fit on tomorrow...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, guys I think you've answered my questions. I can't Thank, everyone enough, you guys took alot of guess work out. I now know I can more forward.. Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts