Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I decided to build myself a miniature of my 53. I started looking for parts about 12 months ago. The only 1/18 scale diecast 53 I found was a convertible which obviously wouldn't work. I was able to find a diecast in 1/24 scale though. Then it was looking for all the other parts. I was able to find most of them from sellers on ebay making cast resin and 3D printed parts; Torque Thrust wheels front and rear plus wide slicks, tunnel ram, Holleys, scoop, fenderwell headers, tach, magneto, etc. I wasn't sure what I was going to do about the motor and chassis though. I found a plastic kit that had what I was looking for, straight axle, same style ladder bars, tall back buckets and more. For the paint about the closest match I found was "MARIGOLD"; wish it had a bit more orange in it but it'll do. Had a bit of body work to do, radius the wheel wells, remove the trim and fill the holes etc. I made the grill on my 53 out of a piece of expanded metal I had and wasn't sure what to do for the model then I remembered a piece of window screen I had and am going to use that. It's still a bit away from being completed but I thought what the hell I'd send along a few photos of the work in progress. Yes, there is a gap on the doors but they're being held on by tape from the inside for the photos.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Vehicle Wheel Grille Tire Hood

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a big FE engine Steve? :)
No it's not Vall. Unfortunately it's the sbc that came with the plastic kit. I was looking for a 1/24 FE motor but decided not to since the motor won't be seen because one thing about the diecast body is that the hood was cast with the body so it doesn't open. I kind of wish I knew that before I ordered all the additional parts. One thing though is looking in through the fenders where the headers are visible I used 1/24 scale bbc headers since they have the same style tube spacing as a bbf and when I mounted the tunnel ram to the block I mounted it rearward to allow for the front mounting of the mag so a quick look it appears to be a Ford motor. I do have a 1/24 SOHC motor that I could have but didn't want to waste it on a model where it wouldn't be visible and besides there isn't a SOHC motor in the car. The parts and engine work are somewhat moot though since the hood doesn't open to view the engine but what the hell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my first car when i was 16 was '53 mainline business coupe. i worked on it till i was 22 building it into a gasser. i used a 394 olds motor, straight axle the usual parts. i never got it driveable and sold it. i few years ago i found a '54 mainline business coupe and started to build it into a gasser.
i made a fiberglass front end and trunk lid for it. i am going to use 460 ford motor for it. this is what i want it to look like.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Toy

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice job on model, especially the tilt front end; unfortunately with the way the diecast is there's no way I can see to do that. How about some photos of your current gasser build; we love photos and updates of works in progress no matter how far along you are or even it's only photos of the car being brought home.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Nice job on model, especially the tilt front end; unfortunately with the way the diecast is there's no way I can see to do that. How about some photos of your current gasser build; we love photos and updates of works in progress no matter how far along you are or even it's only photos of the car being brought home.
You Artsey devil you! I love it. man after my own heart. I missed this post. I was bouncing back and forth in my death wobble. Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
i haven't done much to it yet. i cutout the firewall and that's about it. i spent about a year making the molds for the hood and one fender and the trunk and then got side tracked on other things. i have a henry j i built 20 years ago that needed a lot of fixing as i have been driving it all those years. i finally did make a part in the trunk mold and it looks great. i am about done with my j so i am going to get back on the ford. first is to make a mold with the other fender then i can make the parts. then i will cut the frame and put the axle on then put the motor in. i have several 9 inch rear ends. and just bought a rear end rebuild kit and 4.56 gears and a full spool. next is the axles. and then it's every thing else!! this is what my '53 gasser looked like when i was about 17.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts