Gasser HotRod Forums banner

why tinted windows ?

12K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Road Angels 
#1 ·
my question is in the title : I would like to know why the windows of several Gassers were tinted in color ? Thank you

#3 ·
I think it was partially because they replaced them with plexiglass back then, and colored looked better. But since the windows didn't roll down, it also provided a little protection from the sun for the driver. A closed in car out on a hot summer day can get pretty darn hot! I usually have my door open in the staging lane, and again as soon as I hit the end of the strip! Fortunately my Austin has suicide doors, and when open they really scoop the air in!
Since my car had very nice glass still, I simply used a red tint applied to the glass to get the plexiglass look!

#5 ·
My reason for tinted windows in my car, truck and 37 coupe has nothing to do due with the gasser style, looks or weigh. In my opinion it is better driving with the sun directly in your face is not just an annoyance it can be deadly. Tint shields my eyes and prevent glare from extreme light. It helps guard my personal privacy. It protects the thing inside my car when I am not around. No more stashing my valuables out of sight. Tint keeps my car interior for getting to hot to warp, fade or crack in this Texas sun. In an event of an accident the tint helps to keep the car window form shattering upon impact. The right tint can reduce the heat inside your car. I do recall using a spray can of tint on my 68 Barracuda. I remember spraying at the top until a big run developed across the top of the glass and you kept adding to it as it rolled down the inside of the glass. I do not remember the year the first glass tinting film came out.

#9 ·
I forgot about the spray tint. Back in the 70's I tired to tint my van windows blue using that stuff. And it said to make a trough of sorts at the bottom to catch the run off at the bottom of the glass. I guess you were supposed to spray a coat then let dry and keep going till you got the depth you wanted. It never worked well for me, just made a mess inside and the van smelled like spray paint for a couple weeks.
Now on my Nova I used regular red "Gasser" window tint bought on Ebay. I was sure I would have a tough time getting used to seeing red from inside, but I love it. It looks so cool "to me" with the red paint and all, it just belongs there. I will say that even now once and a while at night I have for a moment thought a cop was behind me if somebody hits there brights. And the red tint makes colors like candy apple blue look like dark blue etc..

Attachments

#6 ·
Rik, I remember doing the same thing on one of my cars running the tint down the side window in a big controlled run...never looked real good, but it worked....my new ford f 150 has factory clear guard glass witch has a 77% UV reduction on the back glass and a 64% UV reduction on the side glass

#7 · (Edited)
I think the original reason was to look cool. Had a 40 Willys with blue tint. Looked great with candy tangerine paint. Extremely hard on the eyes in the sun. Also 62 GP with red was even worse. My Dorset has dark gray, its good. Many colors on the spectrum are very hard on the eyes. That's the reason manufactures and bus companies went with green tint.

#11 ·
If the cops give you a ticket. Go to court and ask if he used a densitometer to measure the tint. Works every time. Printing industry tool.

#12 ·
Unfortunately the shade of your tint is only one part of the law in most states. Most states also have a list of colors they allow. Here in Oregon the colors are very limited. The red, yellow, and blue tints used on gassers are not allowed here. But it's one of those laws that only get enforced if they stop you for something else. So if you're out street racing and get ticketed, they'll probably tack on the window tint to the same ticket. Most cops just smile and wave, or give a thumbs up when I pull up next to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.