Tooling For Shrinking - Page 2
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tooling For Shrinking

The arbor press is a great tool, and a lot of uses. I have a small bench top arbor press I use mostly for pressing small parts. I wish it was a big one like the video as it would be more versatile. If a guy had a big arbor press and a metal lathe he could build all the dies needed to do what they're doing in the video.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I also have a small Arbor press I wish it were bigger like the one in that video.... Some day I will get a bigger one.

I have a Small Lathe albeit I am NO expert or Master with it and while I do have quite a bit of tooling for it I lack the tooling to cut a Round ball end like that shown.
    I want to get a Mill next like a used Bridge port
    Last edited by Doright; 10-23-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: add info

It looks like the punch in the arbor press video has a flat bottom. I would think a trailer hitch ball could be chucked in a lathe and have the sharp edge between the round ball and the flat top softened with a file and emery cloth to make a similar punch. There are also small balls for sway control bars on some hitches.
    Gary

I was thinking more along the lines ofa 1 inch steel ball bearing welded to some square tubing that would slip over the shaft of the Arbor press with a set screw.
    The next problem is creating the BOWL to press the metal into? to get the Tucks right. again special tooling for a Lathe.

Been looking at Holdridge Radius cutters that cut convex and concave radius but they are expensive

6. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements