Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Any pointers for using the woodward fab tube bender?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I’m new to pipe and tube fabrication. I use a Woodward Fab WFB2 manual tube bender. I have done some small bending using steel tubes so far, and they have been great. Now I’m working on softer metals like copper and aluminum. I wanted to ask if you guys could give me some idea about of spring back and points to keep in mind when working with softer metals.:)

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't used that bender, but I've done a whole lot of tube bending in my life. Spring back is almost zero with softer metals, where the harder metals can have 5-10% spring back. I've always snuck up on the bends when trying a new bender, or a new material. I mark out my first bend on the tubing, and then mount it in the bender. I bend it right at the setting the first time, and don't add any extra for spring back. With the tubing still in the bender, I check to see where it is compared to the setting I bent to. If I bent a 90 and it's 85 degrees, then I bump it another 5 degrees and recheck it. I repeat until it's where I wanted it, and make written notes in my bending pad, so I can refer to them next time. Eventually you'll get an idea of how much extra you need to add, for whatever material you are bending, and what degree you need. Keeping a written record will allow you to not have to repeat the process next time.
One other thing you should do. Before I remove a bend from my bender to test fit on the project, I mark where it sits in the bender. I make a mark on the bender shoe, and an alignment mark on the tubing too. Then mark the end of the tubing at the strap also. If for some reason I need to reinstall it in the bender to tweak it, I know I've got it exactly in the same position I did before, and I can bump it a bit to get it right.
If you do over bend a piece, it can easily be opened a bit by putting the end under something heavy like a bench, or even wedging it against the tire tread. Then pull back on the tubing and it will open the bend. Be careful not to pull too hard, as it will surprise you how much you can take out this way!

#5 ·
Like the word, spring back means that the tube or pipe ‘springs back’ after the bend has been done. This happens to pipes or tubes of any type. The tricky thing is to know how far you should bend the pipe. Since the bender has a degree ring and pointer, you can try a few test pipes to find the exact point where to stop the bend and compensate for the spring back.
Thanks Austin for your beautiful answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.