41 Willys Pick up
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 41 Willys Pick up

41 Willys Pick up

Well, I thought I'd start a thread about the progress towards the sale of this truck. I've copied and pasted the following quote from a post by Vaughn; "get out in the garage routinely...and do something to stay engaged on the project...otherwise you can loose interest" which is exactly what has happened with me. I still haven't installed the Gear Vendors overdrive unit in my 53 but I thought I'm going to get this Willys where it runs, moves and stops under its own power because it'll be a lot easier to sell and will most definitely bring a better price if a potential buyer can get in, sit down, start it and take it around the block.
    I purchased a pair of really nice (I think) recently upholstered bucket seats off Craigs list in November and threw them in the cab of the truck, put the cover back on it and forgot about it. I'm reading the posts from you other members and you're all still faithfully working on your projects despite the fucked up weather you have. Here I am where it's practically like summer and I'm not doing anything but going for motorcycle rides.
    A quote from Vaughn in a recent post has been in the back of my mind ever since he posted it. So this morning I got up and decided I'm going to get something done today and decided to mount the seats. No rocket science involved just basic measuring, cutting and welding. Jesus, I sure work a whole lot slower than I used to.
    Anyway, the seats came mounted on some nicely built and carpeted metal stands. So, I used some wood blocks to determine the seat height I wanted and cut the excess off. Took a piece of 1/4" X 1 1/2" angle iron I had and cut some mounting tabs. Marked the floor where the seats were going and welded the tabs in. Drilled some pilot holes through the stands and into the tabs. Next is just threading the holes in the tabs for 3/8 24 button head Allen bolts and it's a done deal.
    I thought I'd start on some of the basic wiring just so the motor can be started so I put in the new HD ignition switch and marine grade starter button but my lower back started to bother me and I am supposed to go for a ride tomorrow so I called it a day.
    Thanks Vaughn for those words of wisdom. I'd just lost all motivation to do anything on either car. Hopefully I'll continue to do a little more every week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG1623.jpg   CIMG1620.jpg   CIMG1625.jpg   CIMG1622.jpg   CIMG1624.jpg  

Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie ProMetalShop's Avatar
    Wow Steve, they look right at home there...
    Hidden Content
    ProMetalShop
    4431 Snydertown Road
    Danville PA.

so what happens if YOU drive it and like it to much........
    Lash

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member 1938PlymouthGasser's Avatar
    Steve, way to go wildman! Looks like a great project..for someone...if not you. Looks like a fun ride.

Lash, to answer your question we need to go back. Like probably most of you I fell in love with the Willys gasser the first time I saw one and have dreamed about owning one ever since. Also probably like most of you they have been financially out of reach. 8 years ago this one came up on Ebay for a very decent price, the owner was selling it to fund a Hener J project; he'd already built several Willys gassers. What I also liked was it was a truck and they were/are still relatively rare what with everyone building coupes. About two weeks after I purchased it, it hadn't arrived yet, another Willys pick up showed up on Ebay that I remembered from about 2 months prior. This was a beautiful, freshly built truck. The seller stated in the description that it was the vehicle he's always wanted but when he got it there was a problem, leg room. He went on to say that he was 6'2" and weighed 195 lbs, same as me, and there just wasn't enough leg room. He said the truck would probably be perfect for someone maybe 5'10" or shorter and I remember thinking "oh shit". So, the long and short of it is sure enough, there's enough head room for me but not enough leg room; think coach seating on Southwest airlines. So, do I love the truck, hell yes; who wouldn't. Would I like to keep it, hell yes. Does it make sense to keep a vehicle you can't be comfortable in for less than an hour or two, no. So, there you have it and for the right price you really could have it!!

Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie ProMetalShop's Avatar
    I've had a hand full of Willys pickups I've modified because of that very reason.
    Hidden Content
    ProMetalShop
    4431 Snydertown Road
    Danville PA.

Steve how about an extend cab Willys...lol.......I would not fit either...but if you could give me a really good price I might have enough left over to have my legs shorten surgically..
    Lash

Today I knew I had to get something done on the Willys if I'm going to sell it. I recently purchased a drive shaft with the correct yoke off Craigs List. Had it shortened and balanced and installed it today. When I was originally under the truck to measure for what length drive shaft I needed I noticed that the converter wasn't bolted to the flex plate. I had some 1" long supertanium fine thread 7/16 bolts put some hardened washers on them and bolted that up. I had also purchased a flexible trans dip stick so stuck that in, just have to make a simple bracket to attach it to the motor. Also got the flexible kick down cable assembly in. Installed the new 8 circuit fuse panel and harness and got a couple wires run; ignition, starter and fuel pump. I had purchased a complete set of Auto Meter gauges that I had intended to use in the truck but since I'm not keeping it I bought a set of those mini Sun Pro gauges and 2 5/8" tach installed the gauge cluster and hooked those up. Haven't decided how to mount the tach yet. Anybody looking for a complete set (tach, speedo, oil, temp, volts and fuel) of Auto meter gauges I'll probably be selling these. Before I post to Craigs List or Ebay I'll put some photos up here; can't remember right now what style they are. Last but not least I mounted the trans cooler and got the lines run and connected. Another 8-10 hours and it might be ready to try attempting to start it.
    The weather is so nice here though my bagger is calling me to take it for a ride tomorrow.
    Last edited by sbauman2; 04-17-2016 at 02:33 AM.

Baggers can't be choosers...have a nice ride and be safe
    Lash

Glad you're forging ahead on the Willys! Those seats look just like what I bought for my Austin. Mine came from Speedway, and are Smithybuilt CJ5 repros.
    Vall

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements