Ethyl Roars - Page 47
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: Ethyl Roars

Bill if you do not want to spend the money you can go this way ..not as good as billet 4 bolt mains but better than nothing this is a ranger engine, they turn 8 grand all day long on alot of boast the cap straps are available thru a lot of places.. just make sure they are USA made... there are also billet 2 bolt main caps available https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...136049150.html
    Last edited by Road Angels; 06-28-2020 at 11:31 PM.
    Lash

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    Bill if you do not want to spend the money you can go this way ..not as good as billet 4 bolt mains but better than nothing this is a ranger engine, they turn 8 grand all day long on alot of boast the cap straps are available thru a lot of places.. just make sure they are USA made https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...136049150.html
    That would be an amazingly unique motor to put in a Hot Rod
    Bill Price Hidden Content

Bill, I'm somewhat surprised your machinist didn't suggest this upgrade. Back before the introduction of the 4-bolt main 350 this was a very popular procedure for the 283 and 327 motors. The kits came with a jig, drill bit and tap for drilling and tapping the splayed holes. Back then I don't remember Milodon or others being around yet. The kits were marketed by a company called Hortsman Mfg. if I remember correctly. I'm sure Vall probably remembers these kits. I personally did I believe it was like 5 motors for buddies; primarily because I was the only guy with a good quality 1/2" drill motor. I believe in one of my prior posts I mentioned it because it's a single speed (600 rpm) torque monster. It also worked as my drill press with one of those Craftsman drill stands for many years. The drill stand was eventually replaced with a floor standing drill press but I've still that wrist breaking 1/2" drill motor.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garag...oles,3220.html
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Effectively, they gave me what I asked for. Their thinking was it would have been around $800 to put the splay caps on the motor, and that for a street driven show only car that would only make long drives on the back of a trailer, would be unnecessary. When I started I had a pretty solid 4 bolt main block already, still do but it is a pre roller with a two piece rear main seal. I had studied quite closely I thought. Summit has a Blueprint 383 stroker with a 1 piece rear main seal, with 4 bolt mains. Reading the specs, I told them that this was what I wanted. What I am guessing I did not understand is that either this example is a Blueprint purpose cast block or one Blueprint modified with the addition of the 4 bolt main. I had purchased a roller conversion kit already with the intent of just putting it in the original engine with the heads. The machine shop looked at what I had pointed at and concluded, "oh he wants a late model block with a one piece rear main seal and it needs to be a roller cam block." That is exactly what I got and I am sure it is well built. I am pretty much over it and resolved to make the best of it. In the interim I will rebuild the other shortblock with the two piece rear main seal and have it standing buy. In truth, the only thing I will have to change out is the flywheel to swap the other motor back in. It takes a lifetime to develop experience. Appreciate your thoughts though.

Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Effectively, they gave me what I asked for. Their thinking was it would have been around $800 to put the splay caps on the motor, and that for a street driven show only car that would only make long drives on the back of a trailer, would be unnecessary. When I started I had a pretty solid 4 bolt main block already, still do but it is a pre roller with a two piece rear main seal. I had studied quite closely I thought. Summit has a Blueprint 383 stroker with a 1 piece rear main seal, with 4 bolt mains. Reading the specs, I told them that this was what I wanted. What I am guessing I did not understand is that either this example is a Blueprint purpose cast block or one Blueprint modified with the addition of the 4 bolt main. I had purchased a roller conversion kit already with the intent of just putting it in the original engine with the heads. The machine shop looked at what I had pointed at and concluded, "oh he wants a late model block with a one piece rear main seal and it needs to be a roller cam block." That is exactly what I got and I am sure it is well built. I am pretty much over it and resolved to make the best of it. In the interim I will rebuild the other shortblock with the two piece rear main seal and have it standing buy. In truth, the only thing I will have to change out is the flywheel to swap the other motor back in. It takes a lifetime to develop experience. Appreciate your thoughts though.
    I am reading a couple things in your post that made the shop decide what they did. First being your statement of, "Their thinking was it would have been around $800 to put the splay caps on the motor, and that for a street driven show only car that would only make long drives on the back of a trailer, would be unnecessary." Which I agree with. If you didn't tell them you planned to drag race it, and turn 7,000 rpm's, then there's no way they could read that into the build.
    And of course the second being the part about, " The machine shop looked at what I had pointed at and concluded, "oh he wants a late model block with a one piece rear main seal and it needs to be a roller cam block.""
    The splayed 4 bolt mains are the finest, but they also sold 4 bolt main caps that weren't splayed, and were less costly, and easier to install. Those still would easily take a 2 bolt block and allow 7000 rpm shifts without worry. They are billet and sell for under $150 a set of three. You don't change your front and rear caps, as only the center three are 4 bolt anyway. It would be a quick, easy upgrade, and then you'd have the engine up to the task.
    But of course it would involve taking it back out of the car, and disassembly again. But I'd rather have the modern roller block with one piece rear main seal converted, than begin over with another block that's a two piece main, and flat tappet block.
    Vall

Thanks Vall, I am over it really. The drama is just wanting to share exactly what you are pointing out to anyone looking at the thngs we do. Decisions like this are no brainers for many old school guys with lots of experience. When you swagger around trying to act like you know what you are doing, like I did, there is always a room for miscommunication. Having said that, the build is first class. They took a lot of trouble to get this engine right. It should be a reliable motor that hopefully won't drip oil all over the garage and at the end of the day, no one else but me will know the difference looking at it and it will look good. What I have decided is to go ahead and save for a really high end block and down the road change them out. the car won't get a lot of mileage and I should have plenty of room to catch my breath on this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine-10.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	103195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine-12.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	103197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine-14.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	103199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine-15.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	103201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine-14.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	103199

Bill

at the end of the day to quote that rock n roll philosopher Rick Nelson, "you can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself". I was impressed to read in your post that the machinist was aware of and gave you the option of the 4 bolt conversion. I'm surprised at how many "old time" hot rodders aren't aware of that particular option.
    Last edited by sbauman2; 06-30-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Well it ought to sound good at idle.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements