Ethyl Roars - Page 46
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: Ethyl Roars

Since it was obviously a factory roller motor, it's too bad the lifter girdle couldn't be used. It's really a nice feature of the late model SBC engines.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

So, there comes a point in life where you meet a milestone. Always dreamed of having something good enough to be in Hot Rod Magazine. This digital version is cool enough for me and I hope you all enjoy it too. Shout out to Bill and Karen Ondo, Steve Addison and Loyd Mead, Kory Ritter, Abel, Aaron and Jonathan. Gary Gutierrez, Roy at Leo's upholstry, Dan Howard, Travis, Charles Ready at Ready Motorsports. My wife and best friend. My children and grandchildren that helped.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/fact...h-383-stroker/
    Bill Price Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Since it was obviously a factory roller motor, it's too bad the lifter girdle couldn't be used. It's really a nice feature of the late model SBC engines.
    So, being inexperienced, I went along with the builder recommendations. Now I find the motor is a 2 bolt main. What does that do to the potential? Have just spent 10 grand on internals and accessories that will just barely handle a stock motor?

Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    So, being inexperienced, I went along with the builder recommendations. Now I find the motor is a 2 bolt main. What does that do to the potential? Have just spent 10 grand on internals and accessories that will just barely handle a stock motor?
    Well I never had any issues with 2 bolt main SBC engines. But I never built one over 400 hp, and never ran them past 6,000 rpm. If the rpm's are kept down to 6,000 there shouldn't be an issue. I'd avoid 7,000 rpm hits myself, as sooner or later it might not like it.
    But both of my SBC engines in my Austin and my '39 are 4 bolt mains, and I keep them at 6,000 rpm limit too. I just don't have the money to be replacing engines too often.
    Vall

I agree with Vall. 400 to 500hp tops On the 2 bolt. My friend Gary told me a while back 2 bolts are fine to build. And he’s built a lot of motors.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    I agree with Vall. 400 to 500hp tops On the 2 bolt. My friend Gary told me a while back 2 bolts are fine to build. And he’s built a lot of motors.
    I'm guessing it is the overall potential. I could have clearly met those HP goals with a stock bottom end. I had really wanted to get to 600 whp. Now I have a rotating assembly that clearly should be good enough for 1000 + in a block good for 400. Had a similar problem with the GTO. We put together a motor with a 1500 hp crank and had to start dialing the power back because the engine was capable of so much more. Guess the answer is to start shopping for a block. In a way there is a lesson in this. I knew I should have gone for a DART block already clearanced. I just can't break my old habits of forgetting what I want and not paying attention to detail. The silver lining here I guess is the T45RS rated to 300 hp will probably suffice. Thanks guys
    Last edited by wrp; 06-27-2020 at 11:07 AM.

You must have way deeper pockets than I do! I'd be just fine with living with a lower HP output at this point, vs. the cost in money and labor to start over with a Dart block, or even another 4 bolt main Chevy block. If you're not going racing, is it really a big deal to have a little less output?
    Vall

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    You must have way deeper pockets than I do! I'd be just fine with living with a lower HP output at this point, vs. the cost in money and labor to start over with a Dart block, or even another 4 bolt main Chevy block. If you're not going racing, is it really a big deal to have a little less output?
    Sorry I sounded so ungrateful. God has been good to me to allow me such good fortune and I am not unappreciative. I had hoped to get somewhere into the 600 whp range with a motor that would live when turned to 7000 rpm. I honestly intended to go racing. As it sits, I guess I won't be going racing. I do enjoy you guys input and have really enjoyed watching your cars come together.
    Last edited by wrp; 06-27-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Bill let’s face the facts. You just built a beautiful driver worthy of a magazine article. Key word is driver. If you want a race car build another car. A car that’s safe and not a sin to reconstruct for the endless mods to get the car to hook and run at the track. I suggest metal instead of fiberglass for your own safety. But that’s my 2 cents for whatever it’s worth. Mho
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Thanks Mario

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements