Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Front Seats

8K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  JW MOTORS 
#1 ·
I'm having a heck of a time finding some short front seats. There is no early model stuff around here anymore, most of it got crushed. Need something a 5 way harness will work right with. Plus I want it to kinda be gasser friendly. Can't believe what they get for bomber seats, even the kits they sell are pricey. Don't really need them right yet, but would like to find something when I get ready to set my column up.

#2 ·
Check out Speedway, if you don't mind new seats. They've got some great low back buckets that are cheaper than buying old and having them recovered. But if you want some decent looking newer seats that fit the style, and wont need recovering, then take a look at the U Pull It yards for Chrysler seats from the 80's and 90's. I see them with removable headrests that aren't over padded, and once the headrest is removed, look good. My buddy put pair in his '69 Nova straight axle car, and I really like them. Think they were around $60-$70 a pair.

#4 ·
I was looking around for something for the MGA and stumbled onto a pair or seats from an old Triumph TR3. They're terrific and can be altered to look insanely neat. They have a lower frame that a cushion tucks into and a curved steel back that get upholstered.

I'm drilling the metal back on mine with a pattern of holes (bomber-style) and running with a small separate back cushion that will snap in place, the lower seat cushion will get a diamond stitched bottom in red vinyl.

For small interesting and "Gasser friendly" seats, maybe look to the early British cars. most likely like the early Gasser builders did themselves.

Maybe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR3...ash=item21069a2d57:g:0I8AAOSw9mFWKl99&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/triumph-tr3...ash=item280d277a97:g:V1EAAOSwHQ9WYfye&vxp=mtr

#5 ·
The trouble with ebay is that the shipping is a fortune. You can't find anything around here. I can't even come up with a gm manual gear box. Back when scrap was up they crushed everything around here. The old MG and TR7 seats would be perfect, but they don't exist around here. I'll ck out Speedway.

#6 ·
For my '36 pick up, I needed small seats. I used a pair of the far back seats from a GM mini van. One I looked at was a Disney edition or something and were leather. You don't even need tools when you go to the junkyard since they just latch to the floor of the van. I ended up using a pair from a van my buddy bought for a light hauler for his business and wasn't going to need the seats anymore.

#7 ·
One of my friends bought back seats from a Dodge Caravan van. Like the other vans, they simply unhook and take them away. He built mounts in the floor of his '32 Ford sedan and made them hook in the same way they did in the Caravan. So when he wants more room while working under the dash, he just unhooks them, and removes them. Wish I'd done those seats in my Austin, as getting into the back to wipe things down, or wash the rear window is a major project for my body!

#8 · (Edited)
Another great option is boat seats. Go to a marine dealer and look through there catologs if they have none in stock. They are a nice size low back bucket, come in different colors and are reasonably priced. Heres a pair on FleaBay for 100 bucks. You can get them from a marine store for about the same price. These are fold down and are easily made solid if needed. Click on the attachment and check them out. http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/yI0AAOSw~OdVXphy/s-l225.jpg

#10 ·
One problem with boat seats is the use of thin aluminum for the folding mechanism. I'd hate to get even a stiff bump in the rear of my car while sitting in them. Not an issue in boats, but could be dangerous in cars. I looked at them in my boat, and contemplated their use, but changed my mind.

#11 ·
The ones I seen in person were used in a t body and they had a stamped steel frame and were non folding. Didn't look any weaker than some of the older sports car buckets. If the aluminum was a concern then just fab up a steel framework and use the nice looking cushions. You can't beat the price for new upholstery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.