Gasser HotRod Forums banner

"Correct" seat question?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 · (Edited)
I KNOW that this isn't The H.A.M.B. so there isn't really a "dress code" in place, but I'm trying to build my little MGA to a certain level and look. Essentially trying to duplicate, within reason, what might have been. The car is a 1958, and I think that the Sportscar Classes and Gassers might have gone up to 1963 or so?

I was wondering if anyone knew what the NHRA requirements/restriction might have been then or currently on seating? Would aluminum be OK/ Fiberglass buckets? Vintage sportscar seats? Bomber-style seats?

Also wondering if the seats can be on sliders or will need to be hard mounted to the floor?

I'm out of my depth here and don't want to be denied at a Nostalgia Drag or sent home from the strip for failing tech. Sort of walking a line between what's acceptable for Vintage Racing Associations and legal for the NHRA.

Any help/advice at all would be great !

Thanks—

T

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Tommy, I think the MGA seat would be acceptable at Vintage Drags and NHRA. However for NHRA they require some specific things. My suggestion would be to get a NHRA rulebook and follow their requirements. Probably a little overkill for vintage and may not look like it came from 63, but it will be safe.

#3 ·
Gas and S/R classes ended in the early 70's, about 1971-72 era. Rules in the 60's changed a lot in both classes. They required that seats be "factory" style with full upholstery. That didn't mean they couldn't be from another car, or aftermarket. It also didn't mean the padding couldn't be thinner. But they did frown on guys gutting seats and just using upholstery to save weight. Or guys using just fiberglass or aluminum seats with no covers or padding. They also required full factory style interior, except that rear seats could be omitted.
Late in the 60's the rules loosened up greatly, and the bare fiberglass, and aluminum seats appeared, along with sheet aluminum door panels.

#4 ·
Thanks ! I KNEW that I was gonna get in some trouble with this. I picked up an aluminum Kirkey seat and seat cover a while ago, not vintage, but light weight and up to scrutiny. It's got all the belt holes and neck support slots and such built-in and reinforced. Maybe run with that for easy and safety and see if something else turns up later on, or stick with the stock MGA seats in spite of the shabby tube-style manufacture.

Got a pair of replica 356 Speedster seats, but they're fiberglass beneath it all and might not be safe/strong enough for racing. I thought that they might come across as looking vintage and a reasonable choice for the times, but the construction scares me a bit.

Anyway, thanks for the info !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.