Made some progress - Page 136
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 136 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1382

Thread: Made some progress

I don't see it either? But if there are concerns about Bondo, why not use Duraglass instead? It's designed for fiberglass, and many times stronger.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

No I am NOT talking about the fit between the hood and the scoop ...I am talking about the top of the scoop not being flat but is wavy with high and low spots...with the alloy hood there is no way I can blend that into the scoop and expect it not to crack...what ever I use it has to be easy to sand cause any weight while sanding just pushes the center down on the scoop...so far have gotten away with out using any bondo....funny thing... if I drop the scoop on in the shop..witch is way cooler than out side I can pull it on and off with out interference from the studs and have some wiggle room...if I try and do it after the hood has been out side for a while it will not go on or off till it cools down...yes it grows that much...did I mention I hate sanding.............lol
    Lash...Washington Chapter and Member...Mean Old Bastards Club

It's always tough to get fiberglass perfect, so wanting a glass hood, or scoop, and wanting it perfect sometimes don't match up. But if it was mine and I wanted to try to make it perfect, I think I'd start by trying to build it up on the inside to make it more rigid and hope that keeps the shape whether it's hot or cold. At least if it was more rigid it could then get a thin coat of filler outside and not be flexing, or changing shape later.
    Vall

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    It's always tough to get fiberglass perfect, so wanting a glass hood, or scoop, and wanting it perfect sometimes don't match up. But if it was mine and I wanted to try to make it perfect, I think I'd start by trying to build it up on the inside to make it more rigid and hope that keeps the shape whether it's hot or cold. At least if it was more rigid it could then get a thin coat of filler outside and not be flexing, or changing shape later.
    HaHa. I was thinking that myself. Glass in some metal strips side to side under the top of the scoop and then go to town.
    Dave

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am!

Vall...that is just what I did late last night...I went back out and soaked some mat in resin then laid it in on the back side then put down some wax paper and a ten pound weight plate to push it down flat against a flat surface..this morning i pulled it up and it is much better...I remember trying to make my old Corvette look straight when I did a repaint on it ...it was an impossible task...1965 I think was the worst year for them....guess what year I had....

Got it flat...it is even flatter than my Ex-wife...her breasts are on the back of a milk carton...had to do some filling in on the top still... but feels good enough by hand rubbing over it..... this becoming another major job

That's exactly what I thought would be the best way to reinforce it Lash. Full layers across the whole top to increase thickness is always best. Any strips to reinforce have the chance of warping the glass surface as it turns over and gets hot during hardening process.
    Great work, and I bet it's coming out perfect for you now!
    Vall

Well back to picking away at my hood scoop...now that I can move and walk again after my house repair stuff...was ok the day after but hit me hard the second day...any way....I am think there are custom cars and race cars...as well as rat rods with the whole patina thing going on...I was thinking I may just do my hood in good old red oxide primer and leave it at that..call it the in progress look...maybe add some hood pins...I was going to do matte black...????

Wait a

damn minute, red oxide primer, YOU, the dude who doesn't follow trends. Oh, oh, oh I got it; it was Marios reference to red oxide in his critique of my truck. Well I'm cool with that, after all they say "imitation is the highest form of flattery" and since it's the Holenator himself I consider it a huge compliment LOL................
    Steve Hidden Content MOB in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Steve don't break your arm patting your self on the back......lol...really I was on another site where guys where showing pics of their red primed 30's cars...witch I ran into looking to see the different colors of red oxide primers...but it maybe that was brought to light by Franks post....I would just concede it.. but being a member of the Mean Old Bastards Club...I am going to make it tough on the President of said club...but I will drill some holes in your honor

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements