Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Drag racing pit tools and storage . Let's see your set up

Tags
race tow
8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  webbrowan 
#1 ·
What are your necessities at the drag strip? How have you set your trucks and trailers up? Tool storage ? Trailer mods? Lighting? Let's see em!

#2 ·
Well my setup for the drags is very basic! Not what you'd see on most upper end drag teams, or pro setups. But it's never really changed over many decades for me. In my early days it was a utility trailer hitched to the back of my Camaro, with slicks, a toolbox, and a box of parts. Today I trailer my cars, and my old '69 Suburban serves as storage for the same things. It also serves as my bed overnight, once I move everything out.

#4 ·
I like to keep mine basic, as I want to be able to load the truck and go, then unload easily. I don't plan on making major repairs at the track, but don't want minor things to hold me up. In addition to my toolbox, I also take my small aluminum floor jack, and a pair of jack stands. I toss an old canvas tarp in that's about 5' square, to lay on also. I have 6-8 pieces of 2"x4" that are about 12" long, and they go too.
Parts depend on what you plan to do. I take a full set of spark plugs, as might foul one or more sometimes. I also take my kit for Holley carbs, so I can tweak the jets, or nozzles if needed. Of course the roll of duct tape, and bailing wire is always in there, but never found a use at the strip yet.

#8 ·
A small generator is great, but be sure it will run what you need to power! Most inexpensive generators wont run a air compressor, even a small one. Motor currents have huge in rush draws that can be 300-700% of name plate rating on start up. If your little generator is a 2,000 watt 120 volt; it wont start almost any motor. If you just want one to power some lights, or run a battery charger, then a small generator is a good deal.

#9 ·
Thanks for the input Vall. I just about had the wife talked into the Honda 2000 after the last power outage. What would you recommend for a small compressor, 3000? Speaking of compressors, has anyone used a small 125-150 psi pancake air compressor for a lug wrench tool/impact gun. Does it have enough cfm to turn it? They only list a bit over 3 cfm and that doesnt sound like much, although I know they are popular with the roofers for their nail guns.

#10 ·
I have a Devillviss oil less compressor for the track it draws 1.5 amps, and a 2000 watt generator works well with it, has a larger tank than a pancake 5.4cf, and will power air tools, but for short burst, I use an electric impact wrench at home it gets the job done, but I was using it on my drag bikes so short burst were ok

#11 ·
Mike, you're better off getting an electric impact wrench to use at the track with a generator. Impacts use so much air volume that it will run most compressors constantly. I have an inexpensive HF electric impact, and it works great. Usually use it over my Ingersoll Rand impact, as the cord is easier to deal with, and I don't need to wait for the compressor to build up.
A 3000 watt generator will be a better choice, but what it runs depends on the nameplate rating of the tool. Look at the various tools you plan to use, and then pick the tool with the highest amp rating to size the generator. If it's for example 5 amps, then multiply that times the voltage: 5a x 115v= 575w. Then multiply that by 500%, (5x575=2875w) and it will ensure it will handle the in rush current draw to start the motor. If your current draw is less than 5 amps, then you might get away with a smaller generator.

PS-Keep your cords as short and heavy as possible! The smaller the wire gauge, and longer the cord, the more voltage drop and current rise it will have!

#12 ·
I used a 6 gal harbor freight pancake compressor. had it mounted in my trailer and plumbed lines to the rear and 1 fitting on the side. It'd take lug nuts off without any effort. You can plumb a air tank into it for more air capacity. With a 20% off coupon, they're not very much. Val is right on the generators. Get 1 that will run what you want. Those little one's are good for running lights and that in about it. I will say though that Honda's are under rated, except when it comes to price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.