So Cal 53 Mainline street gasser - Page 29
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: So Cal 53 Mainline street gasser

I agree with Mario. You need some point of flexible line between the body and the engine, or frame and engine. Something to isolate vibration that can break steel lines.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Not progress

from anything I've done mechanically but the more Lucas injector cleaner, fuel conditioner I run through the fuel system the better the motor runs. It appears that the carbs might still be getting a cleaning. I can actually get it to idle down to 600 rpm to get a timing light on it and set the idle timing at 14 degrees BTDC before the magneto advance comes in at 750 rpm. Since I know how much advance there is in the mag I've just been setting the total at 42 degrees BTDC but it's still nice to be able set the timing at an idle.
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Quote Originally Posted by sbauman2 View Post
    from anything I've done mechanically but the more Lucas injector cleaner, fuel conditioner I run through the fuel system the better the motor runs. It appears that the carbs might still be getting a cleaning. I can actually get it to idle down to 600 rpm to get a timing light on it and set the idle timing at 14 degrees BTDC before the magneto advance comes in at 750 rpm. Since I know how much advance there is in the mag I've just been setting the total at 42 degrees BTDC but it's still nice to be able set the timing at an idle.
    Absolutely Steve, that stuff is great for carburetors too. Love that stuff. I used it in my generator during the Sandy Hurricane outage we had. I swear that motor got quieter and smoother after putting a shot glass in the tank. Works great. I buy at walmart by the gallon.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

I guess

you can call it progress. I got around to swapping the front wheels; the skinny slots to the skinny Torque Thrusts; I'll post a photo to get reactions and thoughts. I also pulled the Gear Vendors unit out from underneath all the crap it's been buried beneath. Finally unpacked it to see just how much crap there is. There's a shit load of electronics (most plug and play) if it's going to be wired for automatic engagement and disengagement. Since I'm not going that route I've just got the 2 wires to run to the solenoid. The installation looks very straight forward. I haven't taken any measurements but I think they're designed to use the existing rear trans mount. If not I had been planning on redoing that mount anyway since I broke one of my ladder bar front mounts a while back. I'm really looking forward to freeway on ramps with the 4:56 gears and then pushing the button to engage the Gear Vendors unit and get the 3:56 ratio kicking in. The thing that's cool about the GV unit is you can shift at speed, no having to let up on the gas.

The other cool thing is you can use it as a gear splitter, and make your 3 speed a 6 speed by turning it on as you wind each gear, and off for the next gear. Can keep the engine in optimum RPM range no matter the speed.
    Vall

this is a real cool mod. I call it progress.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................

I searched

on line for a heavy duty foot operated switch for the Gear Vendors unit. I thought about just using the high/low beam type switch they use but I wanted something a bit more substantial and one that I wouldn't have to "search" for when wanting to shift from direct to over drive. I found one, purchased it and it was delivered today. It's a diecast aluminum body with a heavy spring action and very positive operation. The switch platform is about the size of a size 10-11 shoe/boot heel Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gear Vendors foot switch.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	102519 so there should be no problem finding it. Now if it ever stops raining and I get motivated again I can finally get the GV unit installed.
    Oh yeah, I think I've quit hoarding wheels and started hoarding fuel tanks. Bought this Elco Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elco Tank.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	102521 on ebay for $100 because it had some oxidation holes that needed repair. I took it over to my buddy Jerrys house and he tig welded them all up for me for lunch at In N Out; not a bad deal. Tanks are sure a lot cheaper to hoard than wheels!!!

I've got an old fuel tank like that I got at a swap meet here several years ago. Wanted to put it on the Austin, but even a small fuel tank dwarfs the frontend of that car, so I never used it. I wont use it on the '39 either, so will likely just sell it to someone building a gasser.
    Vall

Well

it's still raining and I feel my motivation, drive and ambition seeping out of my body.

Cheer up Pal. It will pass soon. Rest up and save your energy for some wrenching and tugging and smashing fingers. Put your feet up and listen to this.

Mario

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements