So Cal 53 Mainline street gasser
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So Cal 53 Mainline street gasser

So Cal 53 Mainline street gasser

I just recently became aware of this site. I've been a gasser guy since the mid 60s. My 53 has a fresh +.030 428, Dodge I-beam (big brakes) in front, a Mopar 8 3/4" (also big brakes) with 4:56 gears and a full spool in back, it has 16x10 American Torque Thrusts in back and 15x4 American Torque Thrusts on the front.
    I've also got a 41 Willys pick up with a SBC that's about 60% done. The bad thing is it's in storage because I don't have room in my garage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 53 32.jpg   53 30.jpg   53 12.jpg   LindaVistaElementaryCarShow057-vi.jpg   53 13.jpg  

Last edited by sbauman2; 05-14-2012 at 10:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Wow, that is definitely a worthy participant here. Nice ride. Love the engine. I've always had a soft spot for cross-rams. I like the horn button also.

Any shots of the Willys?

Mike
    Liberty, In God We Trust, E PLURIBUS UNUM

Watch it tilt! => Hidden Content
    Watch my engine => Hidden Content
    My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hey WELCOME, Man very nice ride.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the site. That's an awesome Ford. The big block looks great. Fills that large engine compartment well. Lots of power too, I'll bet. Show us your Willys when you get a chance. Humm......well, I mean your pick-up.
    Robert

"Stick'er to the floor and hold'er straight" Hidden Content

LOVE or HATE Cross Rams

Quote Originally Posted by mt94ss View Post
    ...... I've always had a soft spot for cross-rams. Mike
    I have a "cross ram" that has been hanging on the workshop wall for a LONG TIME!!!!

Hope to use it one of these days.

A GREAT nostalgic piece.

John "Milner"
    Hot Rod wife: GinaHidden Content
    Pittsburgh, PA

Nostalgia Drag Car - Opel GT - Raced in Upstate NY.... '70's - '81

Those were the Days my Friend we thought they'd NEVER end ..... But they did !!!!

Email: Hidden Content

Sweet ride, welcome to the site.

i'm not even into fords but that thing is sweet

Welcome! Gorgeous '53 gasser! Did you build it all yourself?

Senior Member Marks63PontiacGasser's Avatar
    Sbauman2. I've mentioned this before since you are new. Back in '66-'67 when I was 14-15 I worked in a gas station across the street from my house. There was a local guy, last name of Frost, (always thought that was a cool last name) that had what I believe was a '53 or possibly a '54 Crown Vic tinted glass half roof Ford. To this day I would love to have that car. He did not have a straight axle under it but it was lifted as high as a stock type suspension would allow. He was supposedly running a side oiler 427 FE but I don't remember if that was rumor or fact. BUT. He went to college about 24 miles away and would fill up with gas almost every morning. I worked early before school (and after school, and closing) but he would come in and leave the car idling and with out an exaggeration at all, it literally shook the windows. Those being my precar days, I was heavy into motorcycles. But that car and a ride in a friends built 375 horse 396 SS Chevelle really dragged me into cars. And I never looked back. Your '53 brings back those great feelings so I really thank you for that. I always kept an eye out for a Crown Vic with the glass roof but I have never seen one since his. His was also a dark Forest Green with dark center Torq thrusts or a like wheel. With the dark green of the glass roof it was really striking. Can't tell I liked it can ya, huh?? Heh. MArk L
    It's not a period gasser but it is what I would have built had I been of age to back then.

Yesterday I was so far behind that the guy in front of me was me!

I'm still into bikes; I've got 2 Harleys in my garage, that's one of the reasons for no room for the Willys. I think probably everybody has a particular experience that really hooked them. For me (I was 15) it was the car the dude that was dating my older sister had. It was a red 39 Chevy Coupe. It had if I remember a simply badass 421 Olds with dual quads, fenderwells, up in the air, etc. The one thing I remember was when he took me for my first ride. We went to the end of the street, he turned it around, straightened it out, pulled out a handle from the dash (a pressure valve for the hydro he was running) and told me to hang on. He could have given Jungle Jim Liberman lessons on how to do a burn out. That car lit those tires up FOREVER; and I was forever changed......... I've included a few photos of my hot rod Harley. My other is just a basic black 103 inch bagger.

Quote Originally Posted by Marks63PontiacGasser View Post
    Sbauman2. I've mentioned this before since you are new. Back in '66-'67 when I was 14-15 I worked in a gas station across the street from my house. There was a local guy, last name of Frost, (always thought that was a cool last name) that had what I believe was a '53 or possibly a '54 Crown Vic tinted glass half roof Ford. To this day I would love to have that car. He did not have a straight axle under it but it was lifted as high as a stock type suspension would allow. He was supposedly running a side oiler 427 FE but I don't remember if that was rumor or fact. BUT. He went to college about 24 miles away and would fill up with gas almost every morning. I worked early before school (and after school, and closing) but he would come in and leave the car idling and with out an exaggeration at all, it literally shook the windows. Those being my precar days, I was heavy into motorcycles. But that car and a ride in a friends built 375 horse 396 SS Chevelle really dragged me into cars. And I never looked back. Your '53 brings back those great feelings so I really thank you for that. I always kept an eye out for a Crown Vic with the glass roof but I have never seen one since his. His was also a dark Forest Green with dark center Torq thrusts or a like wheel. With the dark green of the glass roof it was really striking. Can't tell I liked it can ya, huh?? Heh. MArk L
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HD2.jpg   HD1.jpg   HD5.jpg  

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements