Gasser HotRod Forums banner

notcher

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ol blue 
#1 ·
Anyone ever use a "harbor freight" tube notcher?...need to set something up whether home made OR storebought...thanks

#2 ·
I've never used any brand of tubing notcher. I use angle cuts, and a angle grinder to fabricate the shape needed to fit tubing together. Take a look at this link. This is how I do my cuts for various tubing fabrication:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-perfect-pipe-Saddle-cuts-with-a-bandsaw-or-/

I also use a Milwaukie portaband for the angle cuts, and I use my Ridgid tubing cutter for places I want perfect straight cuts. Sometimes I simply do a few turns with my tubing cutter to mark the straight line, and then finish with the portaband.

#3 ·
I borrowed a tube notcher when I built the framework for my tilt front. I think it was just a Harbor Freight one. It worked good for most of my joints, but I had a couple over 45*, I think, that I had troubles with. Not enough stroke or it wouldn't swing far enough, I don't remember for sure what the issue was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.