66 Falcon Gasser Project - Page 3
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 66 Falcon Gasser Project

Quote Originally Posted by Marks63PontiacGasser View Post
    I had my 9 inch center section all assembled last Friday. While talking to the set up guy I noticed a white car peaking around a '69 El Camino body back in his yard. When I went to look it is a '70 Falcon, sedan but with the extra chrome around the window trim and fancier (although beat up) interior. I asked about it and he offered it to me for a VERY REASONABLE AMOUNT. I even have a set of heads he may trade for it. No engine/trans and the rear window bottom has rust thru along the edge because of the vinyl top. But the rest is rust free and solid as a rock. I want so bad to drag it home but anyting I did to it would take away form my '63 Cat and I can barely afford that. Man, I would love to have that Falcon. Always loved the body style. Damn reccession!!!! Mark L

Quote Originally Posted by 19mach69 View Post
    .............. I hear you on money for projects. Thats why my vehicles are still in Texas! I really need to get one of my cars finished.
    One of my "New Year's Resolutions" is to stay FOCUSED from now on. Have always done too many things at one time or "changed gears" mid-stream so that I never seemed to get anything done.

Had one project where I never got past the "parts collecting/buying" stage. Spent (wasted) lots of money in the process. I do enjoy all the search - find & buy time it takes to start a hot rod project but on this particular one I hardly did more than a couple of days of work before I sold it and moved on to another project.

At least for now (and hopefully FOREVER) I have only ONE hot rod project...... and thankfully I have enough "stuff" from previous projects that I can get a LOT (needs) of things done without spending too much money for now. Getting the "wants" done is always more expensive but usually more fun to do and more rewarding when there get done.

Gotta keep reminding myself to stay focused this time...... especially with the crappy economy, limited funds and new real estate tax assessments coming very soon.

There is NO MORE OVERTIME pay to be had when you're retired and on a SS fixed income.

I need to start selling stuff on eBay. I have a few items that could sell for a decent amount of money. Don't know why I have yet to do it!!!!???!!!!

I also need to get some stuff on Craigs List. I have had pretty good success selling stuff there before.

John "Milner"
    Hot Rod wife: GinaHidden Content
    Pittsburgh, PA

Nostalgia Drag Car - Opel GT - Raced in Upstate NY.... '70's - '81

Those were the Days my Friend we thought they'd NEVER end ..... But they did !!!!

Email: Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I've been doing that a lot in the last year John. I started looking around and was surprised at the stuff I had that I had totally forgotten about. I figured if I didn't remember I had it, I sure wouldn't miss it, so it all started going away, and straight into the gasser fund.

I did some research and finally found some info on my problem. The motor mounts that are sold as the correct mounts (part #2286) to put a 289-351 are no longer made, but parts stores sell the wrong mount as the right part (part #2257) and call it the 2286. Everywhere I check it is the same wrong part. The arms are too long and do not allow the engine to drop into the bay. I found that the 71-77 Maverick mounts (part #2316) work after drilling the hole slightly on the frame mount. I will be ordering up a couple and doing the modifications. I have no clue what these motor mounts I have even work with. They are very tall and I can't think of any cars they would work in!

Since I have been sick three weekend in a row, I will have to wait until next weekend. There must be something nasty going around the NE because I keep catching it!
    Isaac

1969 Mustang Mach 1
    1970 Dodge Charger R/T

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

A friend sold me his wire feed welder for 40 bucks this week. It may be a harbor freight cheapie, but it was too good to pass up. Its almost brand new. I can work on a few things that i needed a welder for now.
    Isaac

1969 Mustang Mach 1
    1970 Dodge Charger R/T

Tools are good, they might even help you feel better.
    Liberty, In God We Trust, E PLURIBUS UNUM

Watch it tilt! => Hidden Content
    Watch my engine => Hidden Content
    My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I used a HF MIG welder for several years with decent results. I only moved up when I wanted to start welding heavier steel and suspension components that I thought might need something better to weld with. I passed my HF welder on to my son in law so he could practice and learn to weld MIG when I bought my Miller 140.

Quote Originally Posted by mt94ss View Post
    Tools are good, they might even help you feel better.
    I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

If there is ONE THING that I can attribute the growing improvement of my "skills" it has to be the amount & quality of tools I have acquired over the years. Especially in the last five years or so (since I retired).

Having good tools & the right tool for the job surely helps to make up for my overall lack of talent & skills.

Fortunately for me my cousin (Bob) used to be the regional manager for Miller Welding here on the East Coast. Right before he retired he was able to find us a great DEAL on a MillerMatic 180 (a demo) which is a 220vac model. So as soon as I learn how to use it I'll be ready to at least "tack" parts into place.

Another blessing is we have quite a few hot rod buddies in our group of friends that are professional welders that are here to help me out when needed.

These tubes for "frenching" either 63-67 Vette or '59 Caddy tail lights were rolled & welded by one of my friends. Fortunately, our group of friends always rally around whoever in our group needs something made or a hand doing something.

Little do they know what is in store for them once I get into working on the Opel.... HAAAAAAA !!!!

Last edited by OpelGasser; 03-05-2012 at 05:44 AM.
    John "Milner"
    Hot Rod wife: GinaHidden Content
    Pittsburgh, PA

Nostalgia Drag Car - Opel GT - Raced in Upstate NY.... '70's - '81

Those were the Days my Friend we thought they'd NEVER end ..... But they did !!!!

Email: Hidden Content

That Miller 180 should do anything you'll ever want to weld John! What a great welder! I've got the 140 I got fwith a great discount through the company I retired from.
    I've always tried to buy lots of good tools, but I sort of took inventory a couple years before I retired and realised a had a some large holes in my tool needs. I also figured I wouldn't be able to make a lot of major tool purchases after I retired, so I bought these needed tools over the last two years prior to my retirement. I've really put a lot of miles on my Miller 140, and my Milwaukie portaband and sawall. I love the portaband for steel fab work!

I am going to save up for a bigger welder later, but this one I have is going to get a good workout. I know many people use the HF welder without issues. The first welder I used was a HF welder back in 2007. I was able to get the hang of it and I didn't have anyone to show me what to do. My buddy showed me how to do it the right way last time I was back in El Paso. I wish he was around to teach me to weld more. I just watched as he worked on building some parts. He makes all kids of parts and sells them on Ebay. Really high quality stuff. He never cuts corners. It's due to his racing background. It had to last on the circle track.
    Isaac

1969 Mustang Mach 1
    1970 Dodge Charger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by 19mach69 View Post
    I am going to save up for a bigger welder later, but this one I have is going to get a good workout. I know many people use the HF welder without issues. The first welder I used was a HF welder back in 2007. I was able to get the hang of it and I didn't have anyone to show me what to do. My buddy showed me how to do it the right way last time I was back in El Paso. I wish he was around to teach me to weld more. I just watched as he worked on building some parts. He makes all kids of parts and sells them on Ebay. Really high quality stuff. He never cuts corners. It's due to his racing background. It had to last on the circle track.
    HF sells all sorts of welders, and their large 180 amp MIG set up with 75/25 mix gas will weld anything you want. I had the small 90 a. MIG that only used flux core wire, and I'd never ue that for suspension work, as it's not hot enough to penetrate well. The 110 isn't either, but that big 180 HF is plenty of heat, and clean with 75/25 gas too!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements