My 65 Falcon Gasser Project - Page 2
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My 65 Falcon Gasser Project

I plan to add-on to the existing in the Opel.

Plan to add additional bars across the doors (swingable) - across the dash (above & below) & thru the firewall into the engine compartment.
    [IMG]
    Adding to the existing roll bar will enable me to modify the dashboard so I can gain clearance so I can change the manifold/carb. Plus, extending the roll bar into the engine compartment will allow me to remove the inner fender wells (unibody design) and remount the front shocks, radiator support, etc

Last edited by OpelGasser; 01-08-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    John "Milner"
    Hot Rod wife: GinaHidden Content
    Pittsburgh, PA

Nostalgia Drag Car - Opel GT - Raced in Upstate NY.... '70's - '81

Those were the Days my Friend we thought they'd NEVER end ..... But they did !!!!

Email: Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OpelGasser View Post
    I plan to add-on to the existing in the Opel.
    Adding to the existing roll bar will enable me to modify the dashboard so I can gain clearance so I can change the manifold/carb. Plus, extending the roll bar into the engine compartment will allow me to remove the inner fender wells (unibody design) and remount the front shocks, radiator support, etc
    And make the frontend tilt or lift of too!

Good start. The Speedway kit is lacking as far as instructions, but it goes together well.

What's wrong with Cragar SS's? I don't know why, but I've always liked SS's on mid-60's small cars (Nova and Falcon sized). Maybe it's what we had cruising around Longivew when I was a kid.

Mike
    Liberty, In God We Trust, E PLURIBUS UNUM

Watch it tilt! => Hidden Content
    Watch my engine => Hidden Content
    My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mt94ss View Post
    Good start. The Speedway kit is lacking as far as instructions, but it goes together well.

Mike
    That's probably my one complaint with my Speedway axle, the instructions. I've still got some pieces leftover that I don't know why they came with the kit. Not sure what they are, or where they would go because the instructions don't give a detailed list of parts and pieces.

This week I got a 8.8 rear, 3.73 with disc brakes from a 98 Explorer, so I ordered another right side axle (3" shorter) and narrowed the housing Saturday. Finished 56.5". Still need to move leaf spring perches.

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    And make the frontend tilt or lift of too!
    Yep Vall !!!! You know what I'm up to WITHOUT me saying !!!!

Those inner fender wells prevent me from doing "lots" of things that I eventually plan to do.

The way the inner wells support and hold things it's not like I can just cut them out. In addition to supporting the front shocks there is all kind of stuff hanging on them (Line Lock -Brake Lines - Cool Can - etc). Plus it's not like I just unbolt them & away I go. They are welded to the frame and main body/cowl of the car.

In addition to changing the way the shocks are mounted & making the front end tilt I also plan to change the radiator support and one day (hopefully sooner than later) a "straight front axle".

This car is screaming "I NEED a tilt front end & straight front axle" !!!!

Last edited by OpelGasser; 01-16-2012 at 06:24 AM.
    John "Milner"
    Pittsburgh, PA

Those were the Days my Friend we thought they'd NEVER end ..... But they did !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OpelGasser View Post
    Yep Vall !!!! You know what I'm up to WITHOUT me saying !!!!

Those inner fender wells prevent me from doing "lots" of things that I eventually plan to do.

The way the inner wells support and hold things it's not like I can just cut them out. In addition to supporting the front shocks there is all kind of stuff hanging on them (Line Lock -Brake Lines - Cool Can - etc). Plus it's not like I just unbolt them & away I go. They are welded to the frame and main body/cowl of the car.

In addition to changing the way the shocks are mounted & making the front end tilt I also plan to change the radiator support and one day (hopefully sooner than later) a "straight front axle".

This car is screaming "I NEED a tilt front end & straight front axle" !!!!
    Is it possible you can cut them out and build a support from either the roll cage, or firewall to the ends of the frame rail area? That would retain the support, and also give you something you could weld tabs to for supporting whatever is on the fenderwells now. Also might allow some heat to exit the engine bay, and the tilt could be done then!

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Is it possible you can cut them out and build a support from either the roll cage, or firewall to the ends of the frame rail area? That would retain the support, and also give you something you could weld tabs to for supporting whatever is on the fenderwells now. Also might allow some heat to exit the engine bay, and the tilt could be done then!
    Looks like a good plan!!!!!

As you know since I got the Opel I really haven't got much work done on it other than doing "lots of pipe dreaming" and parts collecting.

The work I have been doing on the workshop has been taking MUCH LONGER than I planned. Seems like everything I do gets more complicated as time goes on. Doing "extras" add on fast and have made the job seem like it's NEVER going to end. At the rate I'm going I hope to be done in a few more weeks.

The "good thing" is the "extra time" is giving me more time to think things out... and not rush into things as I have done in the past.

John "Milner"
    Pittsburgh, PA

Better add some new pictures of the narrowed 8.8 rear, front frame rail members, and roll cage that I still need to finish. Also. A picture of parts as I collect them and a picture when I brought the Falcon home in 07??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FG6.JPG   FG11.JPG   FG5.JPG   FG8.JPG   FG12.JPG  

A couple more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FG7.JPG   FG9.JPG  

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements