My 65 Falcon Gasser Project - Page 7
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: My 65 Falcon Gasser Project

Pulled off the front fenders and Doors and started doing the body work on the Falcon (TurdBird). Just about what I expected with some bondo at both lower quarters in front of the wheels and a few pinholes behind the wheels. At least the doors, fenders, hood, trunklid, and roof are all nice.
    Did a bit more trimming on the rear wheelwells for tire clearance. Still trying to decide on an exact red paint color.
    Did I mention just how much I hate sanding?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Sanding ? Don't even mention sanding. I have sanding traumatic syndrome. My MG had a middle name. Sandy! Lol
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

The Falcon's bodywork is going to take some time. Been sanding and poking around and am finding just about what I figures. There hasn't been much repair work done on the car but what has been done is horrible. Bondo was about 3/4" thick on one side in front of the rear wheels. Sanded all that off and will straighten out the panel before finishing. Cut a rusty section out of the other side. This is all going to take a while.

Have you ever used all-metal filler. It's a great leveler and strengthens the panel. It sands a little harder than bondo but I skim coated the whole body with it. I found 40 grit and 80 grit made sanding a lot easier.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................

Yes, it's been years but I have used All-Metal before. Good stuff! Thanks for reminding me about it.

I was using evercoat metal to metal but found that it had low shelf life. Even new out of the can it had started thickening. All metal was so much more dependable. Probably the same stuff but the retailer moved most of it quick so product was fresh.
    Evercoat customer service wouldn't help me at all so I jumped to all metal with a vengeance. Lol
    Mario

Moving along slowly but there's no deadline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160910_171752.jpg   IMG_20160910_171826.jpg  

That mock up, and then tear down for paint is not my favorite part! I like putting them together, but not a fan of bodywork.
    Vall

You got a big jump on things from the pics. Nice. Takes endurance but you'll get it.
    Mario

Too late to turn back now! I just ordered enough Kirker single stage urethane to paint the Falcon inside and out. Went with a Candy Apple Red similar to that on a 69 Mustang Mach 1 I used to own. I wanted something a little darker than the Viper Red 63 Galaxie I have.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements