Gasser HotRod Forums banner

what clomun & linkage

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
hi sorry its been a while, ive been collecting as many bits as I can for my 52 chev.
my question to any one, what is the best steering column & linkage to use in my 52 chev to connect to a vega steering box ?
for the linkage do I use new drag link with heims or standard tie rod ends.
I have started altering my front to a tilt front end for ease of access etc,
my axle will be the apache truck I beam as I said before, this is a touch wider than
original and also spring pads are wider than frame, so do I make adapter plates to refit springs under chassis rails or weld some brackets to the side of the frame.
don't want to narrow I beam, don't want to rely on a join in middle.
cheers for any help.
will post some pics as soon as I start to alter things.
P.S
my 67 impala is now finished & should be on road in few weeks when dvla over here get my paper work back to me.
catch u soon. keep plenty of pics coming in , it helps to see how others tackle problems
Tony
U.K:cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
The easiest would be a GM car, or Chevy truck column from the 70's or 80's. A second choice would be a 90's Chevy Camaro column, but need to get it with the steering joint on it, and a couple inches of the factory shaft after the joint. The earlier columns have a rag joint, and pulling it off will leave a splined end that can readily be adapted to DD shaft. Then the DD shaft can be easily adapted to the Vega box with another DD x splined adapter for the Vega size box input.
The later Camaro column is what I used on my Falcon, and the output shaft (after the factory joint) is DD, but very large. Neat part is it's standard 3/4" DD inside, so it allows a DD shaft to slip inside it, and then weld it around the mating area outside. You can see what mine looks like here. The DD shaft slid inside the Camaro shaft, then a short piece of 3/4" DD shaft, another steering joint that's 3/4" DD x splined to connect to the box.

As for the drag link, you can use either. I made up my drag link on both cars, and used heim ends on both. I'd use 5/8" heims, if you choose that route. I'd also go with large diameter tubing for a heavier car, like 1.25" diameter. Smaller is OK for small cars, with short drag links, but larger cars can flex the drag link, and create soft steering issues.

If your spring plates are outside the frame, it's no big deal. Just build a solid boxed frame outside support to mount your shackles and spring mounts to. Same as I did on my Falcon, in the picture above.

#3 · (Edited)
Vall pretty much covered it. I am using an 82 s10 column and I shortened it but the end looks the same as stock.
Check my 74 mg gasser project build ,thread #50 & 51. You'll see what I used to make it work.
Mario

#4 ·
hi,
thanx again for your help & time,
have just spent today extending my frame rails etc & have almost finished the tilt front, just got bottoms of wings to sort,
I will do the axle & steering next year now as our winter will be here shortly & I still have no garage.
I will sort a few pics soon.
can I ask what steering box you used, it looks nice & beefy compared to vega box
cheers again,
Tony
uk
p.s I have a 70s caddy tilt steer, would that be any good. rather have sumit that looks more retro.

#5 ·
If you're referring to my steering box, it's a late 70's Mazda or Courier PU truck box. Basically the same as later Mustang boxes, except it sits outside the frame, where a Mustang box sits inside the frame rails. If you have room inside, the Mustang boxes might be more plentiful. The Mazda truck boxes are cheap, when I do find them, and not only beefy, but very tall, so they make it easier to get the drag link level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.