My '46 Austin gasser project - Page 158
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 158 of 158 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158
Results 1,571 to 1,577 of 1577

Thread: My '46 Austin gasser project

Vall I’ve been using the Mallory 140 kit with regulator and bypass. This requires a return line to the tank. I put this pump on three vehicles. Coupe from 2010. Camaro since 2007 and the MG since 2012. None of which failed since installation.
    Now watch it fail on me. Lol. It is pricey but I was told the return makes the pump run cooler and with less effort. Making it last longer. So far so good.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Good to know Mario! I knew it was an expensive pump when he offered it to me, and was glad to have it as a spare. But might take the Holley off, and keep that as a spare instead.

Got the Falcon fired off easily today also! Gave it a squirt of gas and it fired right off, but quickly died. Then just fired it again without more gas and it ran quite well after the normal warm up.
    Ready for our Tuesday night club get together, and the weather is low 70's today! Yippee! I'm getting spring fever!
    Vall

Only thing better than the first drive of each spring is that first drive when you finish a build! Sure was great to be rolling down the streets last night! I wanted to just keep driving and skip our Tue. night get together!
    Vall

Last night we had our car club get together at the pizza place. On the way home the Austin sputtered to a halt. It felt like no fuel, so I turned off the radio and listened to the quiet of no electric fuel pump! Walked to the back of the car to see my hanger with fuel filter and pump just hanging in mid air!!!
    I got down on my back to look and saw the trunk drop had cracked and a piece broken out of it where the pump hung!!! I had huge fender washers on it, and they were still there, but holding the broken piece of thin sheet metal! When it broke it tore the ground lead loose inside and lost power. Fortunately the chute release cable is mounted to the same bracket and was holding the whole assembly together!
    So today I need to fabricate a large, heavy duty patch panel from 18 ga. steel, and install it in the trunk drop. All before our afternoon run to the car show/drags at PIR today!
    Oh, and also make a run north to look at a pair of 487X SBC heads I found on CL too! I better get hustling!
    Vall

Got an inner and outer plate made to cover the trunk drop and bolted it on top and bottom of the drop. Didn't want to mess with welding it in since my gas tank is so close, and it would involve much more work than I wanted to do for the summer. I may consider welding it later, but it's such a strong, clean repair I think it will stay as is.
    Everything is very solid now, but I also get to hear the fuel pump louder now too! All that broken metal really quieted things down! So at least I'll know if it ever quits in the future!!
    Vall

This was a long wait, and a PITA to get!

Last year I was washing the car and noticed one wing had fallen off the hood emblem! I was pretty disappointed as it's always been a nifty feature I loved on the Austin. No idea what happened to the wing piece, or when it fell off.
    Eventually I stumbled across a seller on Ebay offering newly made emblems cast off an original for $30 and free shipping. But they were in India!! I contemplated the issues of buying from them, but finally gave in and ordered one......3 months ago!
    After waiting over a month with no message saying it shipped, I contacted them and asked about it? But no reply. So I contacted Ebay and filed a complaint, and then they quickly replied it was being shipped. Then another month went by and no emblem, so I contacted them again to ask about it. They told me it appeared to be lost in shipment, and they were sending a 2nd one. Another month passed and I finally asked Ebay to step in and they immediately refunded my account and collected from the seller, "Enfield Country".
    Then the very next day this emblem shows up via UPS at my door! Still waiting to see how this plays out with Ebay since they refunded me, and the seller needs to get paid again? But at least I finally have a replacement emblem and surprisingly it's a very nicely detailed copy.
    Vall

Six of us from the car club hit a local car show at the Moose Lodge that a friend asked us to come to. He actually had a "Gasser" class at the show, which is surprising for most car shows. Of the six of us in our club, we took home 4 trophies! The Austin took home the trophy for the Gasser class. A '55 Chevy gasser actually took the Best of Show award!
    Gassers seem to be getting a lot of attention. Had one lady come up and wanted to know what a "gasser" actually was. I like those questions, and enjoy explaining the history of the Gassers. She seemed to really enjoy it too, and listened closely. Probably knows more about Gasser history than her husband now!
    Vall

9. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements