My '46 Austin gasser project - Page 159
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 159 of 159 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159
Results 1,581 to 1,586 of 1586

Thread: My '46 Austin gasser project

Quote Originally Posted by sbauman2 View Post
    trip down memory lane Vall, thanks for sharing. Love those gear drives!!
    That one was the noisiest gear drive I've ever heard Steve! I'm also pretty sure it was the culprit that took out my bearings and caused the 327 to spin a rod bearing. I wish I'd demanded the engine builder put a gear drive in the 4 bolt main 350 when I had it built for the Austin. I miss the gear drive in it and the whine of a good one. Too much work to swap one in now, so it will never be done by me.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Austin sounded great. Love the sideways carbs.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    Austin sounded great. Love the sideways carbs.
    Thanks Mario! I like them too, but wish they were further apart. If the intake had more space between I could run twin vacuum secondary carbs like I want to. I have those 450's working, but I'd dump them in a second if I could fit vacuum secondary carbs to the same intake.
    Vall

Nothing really new, but a friend sent me an old picture he took seven years ago at the Billetproof Drags in Toutle, Wa. My first trip to that race, and the first run I made they staged me up against the "Evil Twin" rail. A twin SBC powered rail, and to say I was intimidated would be an understatement. I kept telling myself to just not embarrass myself! Unfortunately that didn't help, as I fell asleep at the starting line trying not to red light. But The Evil Twin was already taking off in a cloud of tire smoke when I finally launched, and I caught his quickly. Then about the time I thought I had a good lead, and was going to win, he came barreling past me and beat me by a couple car lengths! It was still fun!

Think I better get the old Austin out soon, as I haven't driven it since the '39 got road worthy.
    Vall

Very cool Vall. Has to be a great memory for you. Great to look back on those.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Yes, it is my first love; and a car I wanted most of my life. Well actually I wanted an A40 like Big John Mazmanian's "football Austin". But I was searching for an A40 or an Anglia when I found my A8, and it didn't take long to know it was what I wanted.
    I'd actually never heard of the Austin A8, or seen one prior to finding it. Once I did find it I wondered why they'd never been used in drag racing? Of course the answer was they're not seen in the USA much, and the Anglia's 90" wheelbase chosen by NHRA as the minimum, made the 89" Austin A8 illegal.
    Vall

8. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements