My '46 Austin gasser project
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 159 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: My '46 Austin gasser project

My '46 Austin gasser project

Decided I'm going to start doing the bodywpork on the Austin soon. I planned to wait until this fall, but I don't want to drive it all spring and summer with the ugly original paint.
    I'm going to do one panel or fender at a time, then shoot black epoxy sealer on them as I finish each one. That way I can enjoy it and drive it as I progress. I'll save the doors for last, so I can keep the name on them as long as possible.
    I wired an alarm system in the trunk today, with dead pin switches on all the doors, trunk lid, tilt frontend, and motion switch. No door locks on the old Austin, so we were concerned about it. With plans to put lots of miles on the Austin, I don't want to be concerned about going in somewhere to eat and not be able to see it from a booth or table.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

At least someone is working on their car! I need more hours in a day.

Besides having someone tow your car away, have you thought of a keyed kill switch? I have one on my old truck and it was easy enough to install. Just need to make it a little harder for someone to take so they either don't try or just give up.

It's too cool of a car to get swiped.

Later,

Mike
    Liberty, In God We Trust, E PLURIBUS UNUM

Watch it tilt! => Hidden Content
    Watch my engine => Hidden Content
    My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I already have a battery disconnect sw. with a removeable key, so got that covered. I wired the alarm ahead of the sw. and the ignition side of the alarm after the sw. to make the alarm stay hot. It's the only thing I have connected ahead of the sw. so it will help keep thieves from driving away. I just wanted something else to keep them from getting inside, or jacking it up. I wont be taking any overnight trips, but just wanted some extra protection for when I'm parked and not around it, like a restaurant, or bigger car show.
    These Austins didn't have any door locks when they were new, and I've looked at some solenoids, or some kind of electric lock, but most just don't seem like they would work on my car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Almost forgot a question I wanted to ask you Mike! I saw in a reply you mentioned that your '55 used to be a 4DR? Did I read that right? Did you convert it to a 2dr. from a 4dr sedan? That's a pretty big job I assume? I've been trying to talk my buddy with that orange and black 4dr into making it a 2dr, but he thinks he's gone too far to take that step back now.

Picked up these cool old school modified Corvette valve covers at the swap meet on Thursday. They'll look much better on the Austin's 327 than the new plain polished aluminum that I have now!

Great score man!!! Going to look great on the Austin, for sure!!!! The covers sure do look to be in excellent condition, somebody must have really taken care of them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Almost forgot a question I wanted to ask you Mike! I saw in a reply you mentioned that your '55 used to be a 4DR? Did I read that right? Did you convert it to a 2dr. from a 4dr sedan?

Yeah, I'm going to do a build thread on what I did to where I am now. It's just going to take some time. I did the conversion myself with donor 2-door sedan parts. I think it was way easier than doing a chop or the like.

I spent all day at the swap meet and the only thing that I managed to need was a manual trans pedal assembly.

Mike

My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Were you over there today Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Were you over there today Mike?
    ALLLLLLLLL day My feet are killing me!

My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Woo Hoo Mark! Musta been the tilt front that clinched it!

My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements