Ford 9" brakes
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Ford 9" brakes

Ford 9" brakes

Hi again, you guys are so informative I thought I ought to pick your brains further. I have a Ford 9" for my sedan. It's supposedly out of a late 70's truck, 31 spline. I got backing plates with it but no drums or hardware. The backing plates measure almost 12 ". From what I read, most 9" rears have 11" brakes. I need to get this stuff ordered sometime but I'm not sure how to proceed. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Rod

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by raj4851 View Post
    Hi again, you guys are so informative I thought I ought to pick your brains further. I have a Ford 9" for my sedan. It's supposedly out of a late 70's truck, 31 spline. I got backing plates with it but no drums or hardware. The backing plates measure almost 12 ". From what I read, most 9" rears have 11" brakes. I need to get this stuff ordered sometime but I'm not sure how to proceed. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Rod
    Since the backing plate measures 12" you should have 11" drums and brakes. The total outside diameter of the drums will be about 12.75" as they have a lip that's larger than the backing plate that strengthens the drum.
    So the next question is the bolt pattern? It should likely be 5x5" if from a truck, and truck drums. Those are normally 11"x1.75" drums and shoes for the F100 and late 70's Broncos. But the drum height varies from about 3.5" to about 3.75" depending on year. I'm not certain if the axles remain the same for these, or if they also changed? My guess is the axles stayed the same, and simply different offsets on the drums.
    I'd go to your local auto parts store and buy a pair of drums for the year you think might fit, and try them on your axle. If they fit, then simply buy brake kits for the same. If not, try another year until you find the ones that work. If you get lucky the first set will work, and you wont do more than one trip.
    Vall

Hi Vall, & thanks for the input. The drum width was another question but you answered that. Thanks so much. I'll proceed from here. Thanks again, Rod

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements