Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Headers

939 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  dsb 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Yes, but not sure how tire clearance will be if your engine sits too far forward? A friend used the typical Patriot Fat fender Chevy headers on his '51 coupe and they fit great.
But everybody is copying Patriot, and actually building better quality for much less! I bought mine in polished stainless off Ebay for $107 shipped. Now they're up to about $130 shipped, which is still a great price. Extremely thick flanges, and better than the Patriot I have on my Austin, plus they're stainless.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-MA...696120&hash=item442a313fa5:g:76sAAOSwKwNfreR5

You might also note the Patriots are "out of stock".

#3 ·
I had those same headers Vall. I need a 3 inch collector though because I want to run 3 inch pipes. So I sold them and am looking for a pair with 3 inch collectors. Or if I can find those headers in raw form, I can have them stretched to 3 inches.

#6 ·
Not necessarily better Dave. There is such a thing as too large, which will result in lost performance. I run 2.5" on all my SBC engines, and most BBC engines too.

A good example of lost performance from lack of back pressure. When I first took my '71 Camaro to the drags to run it, I felt it was very fast with the 427 engine in it. I rarely got beat on the street back then. So off to the drags, and when I arrived I mounted my slicks, and uncapped the headers. Made my first pass and got a dismal 14.95 ET! I could feel the car had slowed down immensely, and with the help of a buddy we tried different timing, and changed the nozzles to get a larger squirt to overcome loss of back pressure. Next pass was close to 14.0 flat, and still felt doggy.
I finally told him I was going to close my exhaust and put everything back to street trim, except tires. Next pass was 13.10 et. A little timing readjustment and it ran 12.90 and felt good again. I never raced it with open headers again, and it ran great. Later after some head work, a different cam, and a Torker intake, and 780 Holley carb it eventually ran in the high 11's in street trim, with 2.5" exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.