Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Brake drums for a 58 Olds rear

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
Off the wall question but the 57-64 Olds rear ends were a very popular swap for gassers back in the day. My 36 Chevy 5 window coupe has one. I've got all the parts gathered to rebuild it and a set of 4.10 gears to replace the pitted 5.38s that were in it. The last thing I need to locate is a pair of brake drums. I've read somewhere that certain years of Chevy 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive drums fit but can't verify. All sources I've checked have no listing other than Fabcraft and they are pretty proud of their stuff. Can any of you old timers who ran these rear ends offer any advice ? They are 11x2 with a 5" bolt circle.

#2 ·
I can tell you that the only years Chevy used a 5x5" bolt pattern was in the Chevy trucks from around 1975 to maybe 1986. So if there's a chance to find an 11" x 2" drum that interchanges it would be those years. Those were 11"x2" drums, but can't say if they'll be a perfect fit or not?
If it were mine I'd simply go to one of the local chain stores and buy one drum, regardless of price, and take it home to check fit. If it works you can decide to buy a 2nd drum, or take it back and buy a pair of the same somewhere else if that's cheaper.

#3 ·
Well now, don't I feel stupid.. As soon as I finish installing the 4.10 gear set and putting the axles back in maybe I should just jack up the 74 C10 that's sitting right beside it in the shop and try on one of those drums.. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.