Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Front Axles

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mmhotrod 
#1 ·
Has any one used a Cherokee front axle for a gasser build I mean they are cheap and have disc brake's on them and pretty light

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I haven't but have a friend who did use one, and I've seen a couple others.
They are somewhat light tubes, but the assemblies at the spindles are much larger, and heavier than traditional spindles. Not especially pretty at those ends either. But for a budget build, they can be a decent option.
I see them for around $75-$100 around my area, and a decent I beam from a truck runs $100-$125, so not a huge savings. I personally would prefer a pickup, or van I beam axle for looks.

#6 ·
Here you

are Alan. My cousin, like you, wanted something with disc brakes already included. He also liked the straight tube axle set up on my Willys vs. the I beam on my 53. He went to the wrecking yard and got his axle off a Jeep that was wide enough for his application. Then he cut the front end off the Buick and boxed it for the correct width of the leaf spring mounts from the Jeep axle.

#8 ·
Hey Steve your cousins Buick is Bitchin. So cool. Unique too. Love the Cadillac mill too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.