4 link rear suspension
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: 4 link rear suspension

4 link rear suspension

Hello all new member here.

I have a 41 willys coupe gasser. It was built as a traditional gasser with long ladder bars original, since owning it the car has gone away from traditional. I am currently replacing the 9" rear end with a fully built rear end. I am wondering if parallel 4 link rear suspension work on gassers or would ladder bar set up be better. It will be a street/ strip hot rod

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Im for the traditional setup. but that's me. My opinion is that parallel 4 link is more pro street and drag when the body covers the rear tires under the fenders. Gassers usually sit high with tires sticking out from under the body. I guess it depends on how you want your body to sit off the rear tires. Sounds like you will be using coil overs too. I used to love pro street Willys and now Im a changed man. Gasser high in the weeds is my style and liking. maybe if you can post a pic as to how it sits someone can give their opinion on what would work best.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

I think a ladder bar setup with adjustable points at the rear, and front will do a better job on the strip, and still work well on the street also. A 4 link has more adjustment usually, and might be slightly better for the street, but I don't think it has any advantage on the strip.
    If your ladder bars have rod ends at two points in the rear, and one up front you can set pinion angle, and wheelbase length once they're bolted up close to where you want them.
    Vall

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Heres how it currently sits, yes I'm running coilovers. In the pic the rear tyres are 26.6" high the new tyres are 27.8".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20201119-140533_Photos_1605807979616.jpg  

7. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements