Gasser HotRod Forums banner

4 link rear suspension

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ww58bansit 
#1 ·
Hello all new member here.

I have a 41 willys coupe gasser. It was built as a traditional gasser with long ladder bars original, since owning it the car has gone away from traditional. I am currently replacing the 9" rear end with a fully built rear end. I am wondering if parallel 4 link rear suspension work on gassers or would ladder bar set up be better. It will be a street/ strip hot rod

Thank you

#2 ·
Im for the traditional setup. but that's me. My opinion is that parallel 4 link is more pro street and drag when the body covers the rear tires under the fenders. Gassers usually sit high with tires sticking out from under the body. I guess it depends on how you want your body to sit off the rear tires. Sounds like you will be using coil overs too. I used to love pro street Willys and now Im a changed man. Gasser high in the weeds is my style and liking. maybe if you can post a pic as to how it sits someone can give their opinion on what would work best.

#3 ·
I think a ladder bar setup with adjustable points at the rear, and front will do a better job on the strip, and still work well on the street also. A 4 link has more adjustment usually, and might be slightly better for the street, but I don't think it has any advantage on the strip.
If your ladder bars have rod ends at two points in the rear, and one up front you can set pinion angle, and wheelbase length once they're bolted up close to where you want them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.