Patina done right
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patina done right

Patina done right

Frame painted nice as well as suspension and body left old school....notice the trussed front axle. http://www.collectorcarads.com/Chevr...ra-Coupe/53347
    Lash...Washington Chapter and Member...Mean Old Bastards Club

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Considering how narrow the spring perches are, and how much axle hangs out past the springs, that's probably a great idea. I've seen some with narrow spring mounts on tube axles that were bent and tires toe'd in at the top. A guy I know has this problem with his '65 Nova gasser and a tube axle.
    Vall

Im sorry guys, but that patina is beyond my liking. When it looks like that to me, I'd be reaching for the Hot rod satlin black spray paint.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Agreed Mario. It's not patina anymore once it's that far gone.
    Vall

What you are missing is The paint work...if you look at what appears to be rust and paint flake are paint work..look at how the edges show sanding instead of a sharp edge that you would expect from an age related peeling...what looks like rot on the deck lid is painted to look that way...you can tell by looking at the off center pic compared to the straight on shot..even what looks to be a tear in the sheet metal on the trunk lid is painted on using a shadow technique...do you see any dents...not really...another give away is the spots of bare metal that are sanded in...car is clear coated...car is faux patina painted... a really nice job...even if it is not your thing, it fooled you into thinking it was real...lol

No, faux patina is worse than real patina to me. And clear coat over patina or bare metal just turns me off. I've never understood taking that much time to make a car look bad, when taking the same amount of effort to make it look good would be far better to my eyes.
    But then I hate rat rods too. Unless they're the quality that most rat rood guys dislike.
    Vall

29K for that? Nope.
    Dave

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am!

Since it's marked SOLD, it appears somebody wanted to either pay that, or negotiated a lower price.
    Vall

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    What you are missing is The paint work...if you look at what appears to be rust and paint flake are paint work..look at how the edges show sanding instead of a sharp edge that you would expect from an age related peeling...what looks like rot on the deck lid is painted to look that way...you can tell by looking at the off center pic compared to the straight on shot..even what looks to be a tear in the sheet metal on the trunk lid is painted on using a shadow technique...do you see any dents...not really...another give away is the spots of bare metal that are sanded in...car is clear coated...car is faux patina painted... a really nice job...even if it is not your thing, it fooled you into thinking it was real...lol
    Lash, Im looking at a gloss orange paint and simulated worn paint and rust. If it were flat orange I would be more forgiving I think. Its just not what a hot rod should be. Ive seen some trucks done like that and they are ok but on a hotrod coupe just not for me.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Geezeeeeee .....guys beat me up cause I appreciate the artistry involved in doing the paint work

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements