correct air/fuel ratio?? - Page 2
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: correct air/fuel ratio??

Hi , 1946Austin
    Can I ask how the balance tube is installed , The method you use to do this and would it be needed using a progressive linkage , I'm installing 2 x 600 VS carbs on a Offenhauser intake with new heads on a SBC this summer , Only cause I have 2 x 600's available , Be interesting to see how it works ,

Cheers , Dave40
    Last edited by Dave40; 11-19-2020 at 09:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dave40 View Post
    Hi , 1946Austin
    Can I ask how the balance tube is installed , The method you use to do this and would it be needed using a progressive linkage , I'm installing 2 x 600 VS carbs on a Offenhauser intake with new heads on a SBC this summer , Only cause I have 2 x 600's available , Be interesting to see how it works ,

Cheers , Dave40
    It's all part of the kit Dave. It comes with two new quick change tops for the diaphragms on the vacuum secondaries. Those tops have connections to hook up the vacuum lines to tie both vacuum diaphragms together. They also come with a variety of springs to allow the owner to tune the secondary opening.

Here's the kit at Jegs:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/20...RoC_14QAvD_BwE
    Vall

HI, & thanks for the input. Actually the Edelbrocks work just fine. There tends to be a little bit of a "hotsoak" problem, although I haven't been bothered by it in a while. Those carburetors are spot on as far as I can tell. I leaned the metering rods & have the correct fuel ratio. There is no hesitation, bog, or any problem. It runs from 2500 to 6500 just like the cam card says. I was aggravated with the hotsoak condition. Other than that they have been virtually trouble free. The performance is great. I just had to wonder if Holleys would be better. I just don't know if I'm up for all the tuning. I'll leave well enough alone for now. Thanks so much for all the good advice and insight. Thanks again, Rod

Now I’m curious. Describe to me your hot soak problem and when it happens.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    It's all part of the kit Dave. It comes with two new quick change tops for the diaphragms on the vacuum secondaries. Those tops have connections to hook up the vacuum lines to tie both vacuum diaphragms together. They also come with a variety of springs to allow the owner to tune the secondary opening.

Here's the kit at Jegs:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/20...RoC_14QAvD_BwE
    Vall I’m gonna say that the progressive setup wouldn’t need the balance tube setup. Single carb would open first pulling the second open after at different times. Balance tube wants to work at the same time. I’m not using that on my MG. Jmho
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................

You

beat me to it Mario. I had the same thoughts and was going to post. Can I assume you consulted with Frank before posting?
    Steve Hidden Content MOB in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Quote Originally Posted by sbauman2 View Post
    beat me to it Mario. I had the same thoughts and was going to post. Can I assume you consulted with Frank before posting?
    No I didn’t because Frank is the one having problems with the photos opening. For a second there I actually said who’s Frank. Lol
    Mario

I agree the balance tube isn't necessary, but it does help some, even with progressive linkage. At least when you stomp the throttle and open up both carbs. But probably a waste of money with progressive linkage.
    Vall

10. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements