'48 Plymouth Special De Luxe - Page 3
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: '48 Plymouth Special De Luxe

I did some digging and found out my springs are for a CJA 1940's willys jeep with a 2-1/2" lift. Superlift doesn't sell them anymore but they gave me some names who do. Quadratec, Teriflex, and Skyjacker. Apparently I bought a collectors item. Just FYI. I know you will make the right pick for you.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by maddog3299 View Post
    Hi Mark, I am running a B/RB 440 in my 38 Plymouth and have a Speedway axle and springs under it. No issues. I did remove one leaf to get a little more movement out of it. Hope that helps. Sounds like you have a plan. Stick to it.
    Hey Mike If you could get me that part number it would help a lot. At least we are talking apples to apples. The axle itself is unsprung weight and doesn't come into play for this part of the equation. Are you running aluminum intake, heads with tube type headers? Or all cast stuff?

Thanks
    Mark
    48 Plymouth Custom Special - 4dr suicide style
    Starting new build from scratch with plans of:
    1950 Chevy straight axle with steering box
    Ford 9" rear with 4.10's or 4:29 gear
    Mopar 440, 512 CID stroker estimating 680 - 700 hp on pump gas
    727 auto
    30 or 32 inch X 10 wide tires
    guessing at finish weight of 32-3500 pound car
    hoping to run in the 10's

This project will be the quickest vehicle that I have built so I am really looking forward to it.

I figured I could make a phone call and get close to what I need. That will happen when I have a block sitting in the motor bay and an idea of where the steering box will sit. Then I can come up with an "eye to eye" dimension and a relationship of the locating pin.....kinda/sorta.

Skyjacker and Superlift???? I haven't said those names in a year or two (cough, cough) :-)
    727 auto

This project will be the quickest vehicle that I have built so I am really looking forward to it.

Another front axle question. Has anyone ever perforated a Chevy straight axle? I am thinking of drilling a series of holes across the width of the axle to take some weight out of it. Maybe even a alternating pattern such as 3/4 than 1-1/4" than back to 3/4" from left to right. The hole size is just for conversation at the moment I would have to do some measuring to see what may be practical for actual hole sizes. Would race tracks allow this?
    727 auto

Hi, I am running Weiand tunnel ram and Edelbrock heads, tube fenderwell headers. I ordered the Speedway gasser axle kit with GM calipers and Chevy kingpins. The part numbers are different for the width of the axle that you want. If you are ordering just the spring set, I can take a look and let you know which one is closest. My build is here on the site if you want to take a look.

I will take a gander later. Being the new guy I have a lot of looking around to do. I know there is a lot of neat stuff here to look through. Thanks
    727 auto

I am hoping to start tearing down the car this weekend or the next for sure. I talked to a motor shop that would be able to help me over the winter. When I stroke this 440 I'm going wide with the holes too so I can't wait to have the next conversation or two with the machinist. For this build I think I might try a front and mid plate built to keep the stress off the sides of the block by not using factory mounts. This Friday I will run two blocks in and see which one will be best to use after sonic checking for core shift. The block that doesn't pass muster will be a mock up block while the other gets machined. That will give me some working room too.

Also picked up a torch set and an air compressor today.

(note to oneself.....get the darn snowblower ready for use too!)
    727 auto

Sometimes Bigger is Better

I've been meaning to ask this. With anticipating upwards of 650 HP have you thought about going with a 12" wide tire especially since you're going to be tubbing it anyway. Radir offers a 12:00" X 15" X 32" cheater slick. When I built the 428 for my 53 I wanted to run them but they were about an inch to tall for the radius on my wheel wells and I didn't feel like like redoing the radius so I had to stick with 10:00" X 16" X 29 1/2" cheaters although I have thought about a pair for my Willys pickup because the fiberglass rear fenders can obviously be easily trimmed to fit.
    Steve Hidden Content MOB in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

I may go wider I was just looking for a starting point. This is an area that needs a lot of thought yet especially with weight and gearing in mind. I will be looking at the width when I get the axle under the car. The 9 inch has a 5:88 gear in it now. Seriously doubt I will run that. It will be tubbed for sure and then I need to look at rules for a fuel cell or hang a tank out front.
    727 auto

I have the motor ordered and should see it in about 2 months. I tore down the car this last weekend and final got the body divorced and out side. I have a lot of clean up up and rearranging to do now but for right now the project looks like these pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor mount1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	104247
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor mount.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	104249
    727 auto

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements