Gasser HotRod Forums banner

'48 Plymouth Special De Luxe

6K views 52 replies 6 participants last post by  Second Wind 
#1 · (Edited)
With my work space slowly coming together I'm hoping to start this project soon. I did want to post some pics of the starter project before I start tearing it down. Also being the new guy we will see how my pic post skills are here. Here's to breaking the ice before Jack Frost settles in. I also added a pic of the straight axle I want to use.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

Wood Tool Gas Bicycle part Hand tool

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wheel

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

See less See more
#36 ·
I made pretty good headway and am what wondering what you guys think. Should I weld the rear suspension tight? And should I put the body back on and continue? The motor is loose and I want to try to keep it as far back as I can. I don't knowhow low I should go with it too. I would also like to see how the rear ride height comes out with the body on. Front axles parts won't be here for a week or so.

Thanks
Mark

Tradesman Wood Helmet Road surface Asphalt

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame Bicycle fork

#37 ·
With all the adjustment your 4 link has, there's no reason not to proceed with final weld work on it. I will make one suggestion, and that's to mount the panhard bar frame bracket on the bottom side of the frame rail to get it more level. At the present angle it will push your rear to the side pretty hard as the rear suspension compresses. So launches might be tricky. The flatter it is, the less it will push side to side as it compresses.

#39 ·
Thanks for that. I never thought about that at the time. I may even get the bracket to come down further by building down off the frame more. My thoughts were pretty much the same as far as welding it up. Everybody has a theory about pinion angles and yes with the adjustability I should be fine. I didn't think that it would take much to get whatever angle I need.

#41 ·
Called the motor guy today and found out the short block is done. He is working on the heads now. I will stop by on Wed. to check it out and ask him a few more questions. Man I can't wait to bring that puppy home! By the end of this weekend I hope to have the body back on the frame just for weight and measuring. I have been enjoying the weather too much and getting a lot done. It's supposed to snow tonight which means winter is coming which is another reason to get it all under 1 roof.

Automotive parking light Car Plant Vehicle Sky

#43 ·
Yea! I found me! It has been a busy winter. I built a 9" and got it in. The '50 Chev front axle is in and the body is bolted down. Steering is done too. I am not going for pretty this year I just want it to run. I just picked up a TIG kit for my Multimatic Miller 215. Should be fab'ing my own headers in the week or so. I am not used to working on these 'ol gals and was kind of surprised when I took out the firewall insulation. Plymouth used about a 1/2" thick layer of corrugated cardboard in their configuration. I am glad I took that stuff out! I really would have liked to dropped the motor down a couple of inches but the whole steering geometry held me back. I plan on 2" primary tubes on headers which will leave just shy of an inch above steering shaft.

My biggest to do list now are fuel system, brakes, headers and sizing up a radiator. Once all that is plumbed I will hang sheet metal and start on electrical.

Attachments

#45 ·
I started to try my luck at some metal patch panel repairs. The corner is pretty much gone so I was thinking about getting the margins established and working my way inward. Inward will be further than I thought.

#47 ·
Well it has been a while since I have been around. I am jumping back into this project where I will be learning sheet metal fabrication. I have just received in a few tools for forming metal and we will see where it goes soon. The Plymouth Doctor from Michigan ( whom has made floor pans and other sheet metal parts) had passed a couple years ago so now I have to fabricate my own. Actually I would have had to make some of my own anyway because of modifications, so what's a little more I guess.