Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Not a bad bang for your buck

9K views 46 replies 6 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
#4 ·
easy enough to make an aluminum plate to fit between the top of the filter element and the phony stacks base.
Probably even easier to locate small rubber balls and stuff them in from the bottom side to plug off the holes. Then you could open them if you went to the drags.
I wish they'd offer them with taller stacks, so if you had a lot of space it would fill the empty space above the air cleaner better. Like my '39 needs.

#7 ·
I have to call you on this one... check out the pic from the under side showing the back side of the top plate. you have to copy and go google summitracing.com/parts/sdm-pce104-1083?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2u-a-uSK7AIVwRd9Ch2FuAMTEAQYESABEgIBQPD_BwE

#10 ·
I doubt anyone would look at this air cleaner and think the car had injection on it. It's not like those Garlits fake injection setup where they cover the carb to try to fool people. This is just a custom air cleaner that would look good on a engine, not a phony fake injection system.

#12 ·
If something isn't

real, it's phony. When I had the cross ram intake on my 53 I had thought about putting on a teardrop hood scoop but then chose not to. Then I thought about injection stacks sticking out of the hood would look cool. A buddy had a sheet metal break and I had him bend up a tray for me and I welded on two 1/2" diameter tube stubs for water drainage and ran lengths of clear plastic tube to either side of the hood. I went on line and bought 8 stacks that had the 2 hole mounting bases. I painted the pan flat black and mounted the stacks. I cut the hole in the hood, trimmed it out with some chrome door guard and installed it on the hood from underneath and I thought it looked cool as hell and so did the vast majority of people who saw it.

Car Sky Tire Vehicle Automotive mirror

It was fun to watch people check out the car as they bent over to look at the motor then stood up to look at the hood again and then take another at the motor. It was really fun at the couple gasser shows at the ADM because I did overhear a few people saying did you see that 53 with the injection stacks. When I got the tunnel wedge intake and decided to go with the Hilborn style scoop I sold the cross ram and the phony injection piece to a dude in Texas who absolutely loved the stack set up. I think like most things it depends on how well it's executed.

#13 ·
This is my buddy's Austin with the same setup as you did Steve. People love it!

I don't find this any different than me building the floor shifter on my '39 to make it appear to be a 4 speed car. It fools everyone so far. I love telling people it's a 700R4 OD, and have them look back inside, and say, "But it's a Hurst shifter?"

Yes, I'm fooling people, and having fun. My car has cheater slicks, but they're not slicks for the drag strip. And I've got electric cutouts, not caps to unbolt. And gosh sakes, I've got a stereo with CD player!! Gotta have a little fun with our cars, or get so caught up in authenticity that you'll go nuts trying to find vintage parts.

#14 ·
Well I seemed too have stirred up a hornets nest here...my whole truck is a fake....but I do not care ..but hey my friends come around on a regular bases to check on the progress and too admire what I have done with very limited resources, and these guys are all semi pro racers both in the marine and motorcycle as well as the car world ...if it makes you happy do it...I love the Austin too Vall..more of a street freak..but damn you know there are some sore necks out there from trying to get a look at it when it goes down the road...and buy the way those are down draft stacks...not injector type...as in Webers or Dellorto's..and any body who has had any experience with real old school injection knows that its a pain to get them to work on a street application so if you want that look for a driver... fake or real expensive electronic is the way to fly.,..nice that we can all disagree here and not get nasty and act like bitch's...I may buy some stacks and do another hood if one falls in my lap....lol

#15 ·
Not trying to be a bitch or anything. My car is far from period correct and I would not want it any other way. I just don't get the fooling people thing. Hell, I am installing a bottle opener on the firewall. I am going to have a video monitor and a 12 inch sub behind the fuel cell, so I get it. Did not mean to call anyone out for doing things their way.

#16 ·
Shit Lash

my Willys is another prime example. Like I really need a parachute (bag filled with old beach towels) and wheelie bars for a 283 powered vehicle and let's not forget the gear drive to simulate blower whine but I love it!!!

#17 ·
Steve who the hell uses old beach towels in there chute bag,,,every one knows your suppose to use foam found on the side of the road...oh yea you got beaches in Calif. we got snow here...not the kind you put up your nose there...........lol.... the Willys...you could be pushing it down the road and it would still look cool as all hell.............

#18 ·
My chute bag has a chute, and is still set up to work. But since I recall how long it took me to pack the damn thing after installing it on my Austin, I've never even considered ever pulling it to watch it open! So it's just there for looks. Had wheelie bars on it too once, but my driveway has a steep approach and made it fun trying to get the car up the driveway unless I came in fairly quick to get past the approach. So took them off, and never replaced them with some that were higher up.
I think that of all the car styles a guy could consider building, a gasser style car is the most fun. People can choose to make them look so period correct you'd swear they're a survivor from the 60's. Or build them to whatever your heart desires. I personally like to keep them in the spirit of the 60's, but more than willing to use electronic ignition, MSD boxes, modern B&M ratchet shifters, late model rear axles, disc brakes, or any number of other changes to make it my personal build.

#19 ·
I was

lucky enough to find just the bag for sale on ebay but it did come with the spring chute popper which I discarded since I knew I'd never need it and was just going for the cool factor anyway.

#20 ·
Well here's the scoop on the Speedmaster downdraft air cleaner. Since I now have one in hand I can tell you the holes do go clear through on the downdraft stacks. No way it can filter the air with those open, so I'll need to plug them.
And the big issue is the bottom single carb opening! It's @6.25" round, and has 4 threaded holes outside the center hole, but Speedmaster doesn't sell a carb adapter plate of any kind! So I'll have to make up one from aluminum, and have a welder tig weld the center in the plate to fit my carb inlet. I guess I do have the option of making the center whatever height I wanted if I choose to have the stacks poke through my hood? Then I could use round balls with the chain attached to each, and pull them out if I wanted straight air into the carb.
Speedmaster does sell screens to fit into each stack, so that's an option, but not much of a way to stop dirt.
I'll play with this over the winter, and decided how tall I want it before I build the base adapter.

#22 ·
I bought one of these a couple of years ago and when I got it, I took the cups off and had them partially powder coated the color of my car. Each one has a blank covering the hole below it. I took all the blanks off, put filters from a real induction system in and put it on my motor. There is just enough room under the hood to get plenty of air. The air going into the motor goes through two filters before it gets to the motor. I get a lot of comments on the set up.

#24 ·
Mine came without the base you linked Lash, and also no plates to block off the stacks. So maybe that's why the "special" bargain price? I went to Speedmaster's web site, and don't see anything listed to allow me to order the base plate separately either? Maybe I need to contact them, and ask if they sell them?

#26 ·
Was told by Speedmaster "they come with the adapter". And then they wanted pictures of what I received, so sent those. They also told me they don't come with blank off plates, although Lash's link clearly showed they did at one time. I have plenty of thin aluminum I could cut circles to slip under each stack, but a filter in each would be even better! I might look at buying filter media and just cover the top of the existing filter before putting the top on so all the inlets would be filtered and actually working.

#27 ·
Vall I am thinking that these are a liquidated item ..I see that Speedmaster is cutting there Chrome and accs. catalog?? still looks like a quality part. you could just cut a sheet of alloy and put it between the filter and top plate..also I see there filter is on sale $11.95...is it stiff enough to stack two filters to raise the stacks up if desired?...I am thinking about getting one my self...yea a third hood???...maybe.....shit why not

#28 ·
Since the adapter was supposed to come with it, and their email to me confirms that, I'm waiting to see how they handle this. I unfortunately already left positive feedback when I got it because it was very high quality. So now I can only hope they send the adapter, and if they don't I'll turn it over to Ebay to see what they can do.
Once they requested pictures of what I got I felt like they were stalling. What good are pictures when I could easily set the adapter aside and take pictures if I was trying to defraud them? But I sent the pics, and hope they send me the base. If not I'll build my own and make the adapter height whatever I want it to be.

#29 ·
Last email response from Speedmaster, "We're checking the warehouse."
WTF??? Like they want to see if the missing part is laying on the floor or something?

Sent them back an email asking if they checked the floors, or under the racks. And told them the reply was puzzling me. They then sent this:

"we're checking to see if yours could have been missing from the original package and if we can find one to get sent out to you to get your install completed"

So maybe they'll send it if it doesn't show up on the floor? ;)

#30 ·
Mine came with all the parts shown and the tubes can be removed. The base plate has holes in mine, just like the one in the photo, but it also came with blank aluminum disk to put in the holes to block it. I took mine apart and took the tubes to a powder coater and had them powder coat just the outside of the tube. It wasn't cheap, but it came out very nice. I then remounted the tubes without the blanks installed. I bought some push in filters and they fit perfectly and look pretty good too. All-in-all, I am very happy with the results. The tubes were coated the same color as my car. I get a lot of compliments at the car shows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.