Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Straight axle

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  crazyhorse 
#1 ·
Okay fellas, I am new to the straight axle world. I have been eyeballing the Speedway axles...but I've come across a 55 ford f100 axle that already has disk brake conversion on it. My only concern is spring location as the f100 has wide pads for the spring mounts, dont know if I can alter that. Any input would be great.

Reactions: mmhotrod
#2 ·
Altering spring location isn't something I'd do. I'd alter the mounting points on the frame. Much easier, and safer. Surprising the F100 spring spacing would be wider than your frame rails?
Might also consider looking for a mid to late 60's Econoline axle. Already 5x 4.5" bolt pattern, and upgraded brakes, or easy to swap to disc brakes.

#6 ·
So it looks like the early 50s all the way up through the mid 60s had the same king pin boss diameter and were essentially the same axle. So the question is, the aftermarket places only sell 5x5.5 for the 64. I can buy aftermarket for the 55 years and get 5x4.5. Is this right or am I missing something?

#7 ·
I guess what I'm asking is, the 55 and 64 axelson are identical other than the shock holes present in the 64. If I buy a kit for the 55 brake conversion, it should theoretically work on the 64?

#8 ·
Can't tell you if a '55 brake conversion fits on a '64, as the only disc brake conversions I've done on Ford axles is the Econoline axles.

As for the spring width, you can either build mounts off the side of the frame, or cut the frame at the firewall and stub 2"x 4" box tubing out offset at the width you need it to match the spring width. A stubbed front frame rails really cleans up the front and makes it not only nicer looking, but lighter, and easier to fabricate mounting points.

#12 ·
Can't tell you if a '55 brake conversion fits on a '64, as the only disc brake conversions I've done on Ford axles is the Econoline axles.

As for the spring width, you can either build mounts off the side of the frame, or cut the frame at the firewall and stub 2"x 4" box tubing out offset at the width you need it to match the spring width. A stubbed front frame rails really cleans up the front and makes it not only nicer looking, but lighter, and easier to fabricate mounting points.
I am doing a '51 Pontiac and at first I tried to fit the axle to what was there. The angles of the frame and multiple levels of steel riveted together was a head ached mess. I am going the box tubing route only using 3" X 4" as it fits into the frame where I plan to cut it.

#9 ·
Thank you guys for the help, it really is appreciated. I'm going to pick up the 64 axle at least, the guy only wants 20 bucks for it. The guy with the 55 offered to get it to me in Washington through some friends, so I'll probably end up with that one too. Keep you posted.

#10 ·
1953 up have a bigger king pin....earlier years have the same king pin size ... all spindles from 37 up will fit...you have to match the king pin to the spindle...there are different length pins.... 28 to 52 all have the same spindle boss...I would go with a ford f1 spindle do to the weight of the car..check speedway to see what year they offer a disc brake kits for in a 4.5...some of the early spindles from a f1 are perfect for the conversion...you only have to buy one arm for a cross steer setup

#14 ·
I've avoided the late 40's-early 50's Chevy truck axles for a couple reasons. First being they aren't true parallel leaf springs, as they taper in at the front. So makes straight parallel frame rails an issue for mounts, and one end ends up either inside the frame, or outside at the rear. But they're also not as easy to convert to 5 lug, or as cheap to convert. And the spindles require some machine work and spacers to convert to disc brakes. I like the '55-'59 axles much more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.