Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Fire smoke!

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
Fires burning all over the state, except for our immediate area. But with the wind direction we've been so smokey the last few days we can't get outside. And even in the house it burns your eyes and makes your throat dry and irritated.
One of our daughters lives South of us about 15 miles, and it's even worse at her place. So her and our granddaughter are coming over this afternoon to stay a few days until we're scheduled for some rain Mon.-Tue., which should kill the smoke.
I'd love to be out working on the car, or putting new doors on the shop. But has to wait until things clear up.

#2 ·
Hope you guys are safe from the fire. Smoke is horrible at times especially with no relief and you can't get away from it.

#3 ·
We can't keep the smell out, even inside the house Mario. We keep things closed up to reduce it as much as possible, but just letting the dog out occasionally brings in waves of smoke smell. Tried running the AC on recirc, even though it's not that hot here, but doesn't change much. Just waiting for the rain due here Mon. in hopes it will settle things down.
We have 3 mega fires going on presently, which are fires over 120,000 acres. We have never had more than 2 mega fires in one entire fire season ever, and now we have 3 all at once. So fire resources are stretched thin, and these fires may only be contained if we get some rain. Complete towns have been burned to the ground in some areas, and many rural towns are being evacuated presently.
No threat to us yet, but no telling how much more will burn before this is done.

#4 ·
Keep the cars fueled in case you gotta grab and run. Or leave them empty so they aren’t flammable. How do you make that call?

#5 ·
If we catch fire here the entire town will be gone...it happened here many years ago...nothing but Forrest for miles in every direction...I bought air purifiers a few years back when they where on a year end close out sale, plus I have a central unit with a static air purifier...there is only one way out of town and it would be blocked with traffic so I would go over to the lake and jump in..the news says they are caused by climate change....I did not know that climate change makes people go out and set fires and do stupid things, 80% plus are started by humans...and living in a small pass thru resort town we see the really stupid ones come through...throwing out burning cigarettes, camp fires not set up right, fire works being shot off...this year we are seeing more amateur campers and one time visitors to the mountain....so a special kind of stupid is showing up this year

#7 ·
Doubt I'd be taking any of my hotrods, unless we had a lot of warning time. I'd be busy filling the old Suburban with valuables, and the wife's car too. Then maybe I could think about coming back for my cars if there was time.
Believe me we've often wondered what would go along with us if there ever was an evacuation, and it's more a question of what wouldn't go. I've got antique 1800's rifles that 2 or 3 would be worth more than the cars, and easier to pack. So they'd win out in a rush to exit.

#9 ·
I forgot about your collection. Yeah I agree. A lot easier to pack and much more valuable.

#10 ·
Remember last year Tom came close to losing his car. It was covered with fire retardant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.