Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Cobwebs

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
My car group is getting together tomorrow in a closed down K Mart parking lot next door to where we have our first Sunday get togethers before this crap happened. Unfortunately I can't make it, and bummed about that since I miss the guys.
So I got the Austin out today and just drove around burning up gas for a few hours instead. Not as much fun as getting together with friends, but at least it was better than watching TV, and sitting in the recliner again!

#2 ·
I agree with you Val. Driving our hot rods even just around the block is better than just sitting home watching TV. I had a Client in California postpone their Class next week till the end of August.I was so looking forward to just getting out of the house for those 4 days. Now I have to wait till August!

#4 ·
Yeah, I was running on fumes in the Escape and it took only $36.00 to fill it up. But I was in Muskogee, Oklahoma in March and the fuel there was only $1.91 and that was BEFORE this virus shut down everything and before gas prices dropped. Not sure what it is there now, but I am enjoying this cheaper gas!

#5 ·
Our car club is getting together this Sat. for a little social distancing at a parking lot next to where we used to have our monthly first Sunday breakfast. We're trying to just have some get togethers so we can keep up and see each other face to face. We hope to also do a run to some place in the near future. With the rest of Oregon opening up, and our county not open, hoping maybe a 75 mile run will get us to a place we can sample normal life again!

#6 ·
Time for more get togethers, with social distancing. Today I met my old boss at the electrical contractor I worked for prior to retirement. He hired me to help him find and pull an 8.8" Ford axle and install it in his '57 Chevy pickup. He's had his '57 since high school in 1969, and had somebody do a subframe swap up front from a Mopar of some kind. He also put a 350 crate motor in it at that time, and a 9" Ford open diff. 3.23 gears.
So we pulled a '97 Explorer 3.73 limited slip that only had 100,000 miles on it. It's also a disc brake axle, so he'll have 4 wheel disc brakes now.

Tomorrow our car club will get together again at the local K Mart empty parking lot next to our breakfast place. Big enough we can sit 6 ft. apart in our chairs, and still visit. Plus our old restaurant is doing takeout, so we can drive through there first and order lunch to eat while we visit. Really looking forward to it as I haven't seen the guys in over two months!

#7 ·
Have fun

Vall. The group of guys I have coffee with most mornings are meeting in the parking lot of the Moose Lodge behind the doughnut shop this coming Monday. Like you and your group it's the first time in a couple months.

#9 ·
We had a good visit today, and had a decent turnout too. About 7 guys, and one of the fellas invited his friend. His buddy Steve drove a 38 Ford coupe that he's had since high school! And he's 74 years old now, so a very long time! It's a highly modified little coupe and he said other than paint he did all the work himself in his younger days. It's chopped, channeled, and sits pretty low! He put a 392 Hemi in it with dual quads, and a TH400 behind it. It's almost identical in color to my Austin, and he just recently had it repainted this color.
It's also got some somewhat strange and dated headlights, as they are dual headlights Frenched into the front fenders at 45 degrees. Something reminiscent of the late 50's or early 60's, but he kept them because that's what he did way back then.
Engine is such a tight fit he has no sides on the hood, and the alternator is tight enough to require a lump on the one side of the hood to clear it! I thought it was a turbo until he told me what the bump was for. Cool old school car though!
We had a lot of people pull into the lot with regular cars just to stop and walk around our cars. Some asked questions, while most just smiled and said they liked them. A little cool as it never reached the forecast 67 degrees. Have to do it again next weekend when they tell us it's going to hit 90 degrees!!

#10 ·
Guys in our car club got together today for some quality cruise time! We drove about 40 miles to a small remote restaurant with a beautiful view and ate lunch. Another county that is open, and easier for us to eat together inside at a table.
Then we did about a 60 mile detour towards home to get some more seat time. Only five of us on this trip, but it sure was fun!

#11 ·
That’s pretty cool Vall. We were notified about a local cruise at the beach opening this weekend. It’s an early run and I don’t know if I can start the coupe at 6am. My neighbors will hate me.

#12 ·
I know that feeling Mario, and have done it occasionally to go to something I really enjoy. We have one cruise that starts at 7:00 a.m. Sat. before Mother's Day and you have to leave home about 5:30 to not end up way out in the sticks!
I usually push the car out of the garage, and get everything ready. Then hit the key and jam it in gear quickly, and get out of the neighborhood quick!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.